Originally Posted by americanvalkyrie
B/B/S = black/blue/splash. When you breed a black and a splash, you have a 25% chance of getting black, 50% of getting blue, and 25% of getting splash, and you don't know until they hatch. (I might be wrong on the numbers. I'm hatching, not breeding.) I'm hoping for splash, since I have a blue, and I have 4 other black chickens of different breeds.
Not quite, but your genetics are close! Those are the percentages for breeding two blues together, not a black and a splash. Here are the % for BBS crossings. Copies and pasted from this BYC Article.
Blue x Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Blue x Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black x Splash = 100% Blue
Black x Black = 100% Black
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
NOTES - - Black can NEVER parent a Splash Bird, and Splash can NEVER parent a Black Bird.