BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › Breeds, Genetics, & Showing › Silkie breeding, genetics & showing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silkie breeding, genetics & showing - Page 454

post #4531 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonlady View Post

Whatever these guys are carrying, I would raise them all. What a nice hatch of chicks !


Thank you!  Oh brother...I have someone wanting the blues.  Decisions, decisions.  I have so many chicks right now!  Oh and I went out this morning and one of the little whites has a super blue cast to it.  The others have always had some - a little yellow and smudges of a blueish color.  This one is almost solid gray/silver.  Maybe I should go check and make sure it isn't a splash now that I think about it....

Gray Hill Silkies

Exhibition Quality Silkies in White, Black, Gray, and Partridge.

www.tipschihuahuas.com (Go to the "Furry Ground Parrots" page)

Member APA, ABA, ASBC.

Reply

Gray Hill Silkies

Exhibition Quality Silkies in White, Black, Gray, and Partridge.

www.tipschihuahuas.com (Go to the "Furry Ground Parrots" page)

Member APA, ABA, ASBC.

Reply
post #4532 of 6414

Thanks - I have a tendency to think of blue as in recessive blue in dogs...he.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisNchickens View Post
 

Blue in dogs is not recessive. It has to be there to get it. Comparing a blue merle dog to a blue chicken, when you double it you get a double merle in the dog (sometimes called a double dilute) in chickens its called a splash. I hope that is easy to follow. Oh and beautiful chicks by the way!


Edited by chicksnthestiks - 4/18/13 at 7:25am
post #4533 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisNchickens View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonlady View Post

Whatever these guys are carrying, I would raise them all. What a nice hatch of chicks !


Thank you!  Oh brother...I have someone wanting the blues.  Decisions, decisions.  I have so many chicks right now!  Oh and I went out this morning and one of the little whites has a super blue cast to it.  The others have always had some - a little yellow and smudges of a blueish color.  This one is almost solid gray/silver.  Maybe I should go check and make sure it isn't a splash now that I think about it....



lau.gif  Looks like you need that crash course on chicken genetics.. if you have a splash you already have blue in the rooster...

 

I think white chicks do have yellow and sometimes smudges, but grey/silver does sound suspicious.  Of course it could just be a really good silver based white... I would keep that one just to find out what it grows up to.

 

I guess as long as you tell them the blues carry recessive white and the boys may be Golden then they can decide if that will affect their breeding pens.  If they are just going to be pets there is no problem.  They sure are cute chicks!

 

PS.. no clue how to get rid of those lines above .. oops.

Dian

 

Everything I say is IMHO.  Usually it is based on my experiences, your mileage may vary...

 

I bought a Silkie to be a broody because my small Styrofoam incubator doesn't like my wood heated house.  However she is so cute I want more... Chicken Math Strikes again!

 

ChickNmamma's Swap Page

Reply

Dian

 

Everything I say is IMHO.  Usually it is based on my experiences, your mileage may vary...

 

I bought a Silkie to be a broody because my small Styrofoam incubator doesn't like my wood heated house.  However she is so cute I want more... Chicken Math Strikes again!

 

ChickNmamma's Swap Page

Reply
post #4534 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicksnthestiks View Post

Thanks - I have a tendency to think of blue as in recessive blue in dogs...he.gif

Blue in dogs is not recessive. It has to be there to get it. Comparing a blue merle dog to a blue chicken, when you double it you get a double merle in the dog (sometimes called a double dilute) in chickens its called a splash. I hope that is easy to follow. Oh and beautiful chicks by the way!


Blue in dogs IS recessive.  It is a dilution of black - dd.  Chocolate is the other dilution of black -bb.  I am not talking about merle.  Merle is not a color but rather a pattern.  That is a whole different can of worms so to speak.  And thanks for the complement....want them? lol


Edited by chisNchickens - 4/18/13 at 10:30am

Gray Hill Silkies

Exhibition Quality Silkies in White, Black, Gray, and Partridge.

www.tipschihuahuas.com (Go to the "Furry Ground Parrots" page)

Member APA, ABA, ASBC.

Reply

Gray Hill Silkies

Exhibition Quality Silkies in White, Black, Gray, and Partridge.

www.tipschihuahuas.com (Go to the "Furry Ground Parrots" page)

Member APA, ABA, ASBC.

Reply
post #4535 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickNmamma View Post



lau.gif  Looks like you need that crash course on chicken genetics.. if you have a splash you already have blue in the rooster...

AHHHH!!!!!!!!  I don't like the blues THAT much.  lol  They are soooo gone!  I will inform the lady that wants these that she probably doesn't want them.  SIgh. 

I think white chicks do have yellow and sometimes smudges, but grey/silver does sound suspicious.  Of course it could just be a really good silver based white... I would keep that one just to find out what it grows up to.

 

I guess as long as you tell them the blues carry recessive white and the boys may be Golden then they can decide if that will affect their breeding pens.  If they are just going to be pets there is no problem.  They sure are cute chicks!

 

PS.. no clue how to get rid of those lines above .. oops.

Gray Hill Silkies

Exhibition Quality Silkies in White, Black, Gray, and Partridge.

www.tipschihuahuas.com (Go to the "Furry Ground Parrots" page)

Member APA, ABA, ASBC.

Reply

Gray Hill Silkies

Exhibition Quality Silkies in White, Black, Gray, and Partridge.

www.tipschihuahuas.com (Go to the "Furry Ground Parrots" page)

Member APA, ABA, ASBC.

Reply
post #4536 of 6414

Hello everyone. I am looking for some help choosing which buff Silkie rooster to use.

 

Here is rooster Number 1. He is a bit older than the other roo, has more dark in his tail and a much darker comb. He is probably a month or two older than the other roo (not 100% sure)

 

 

 

 

 

And this is the Buff Silkie Rooster Number 2. A bit younger and with less black in his tail. The dark parts of his tail almost seem blue.

 

 

 

 


So the big question is... which of these two would you use for breeding?

post #4537 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebygeebies View Post

Hello everyone. I am looking for some help choosing which buff Silkie rooster to use.

 

Here is rooster Number 1. He is a bit older than the other roo, has more dark in his tail and a much darker comb. He is probably a month or two older than the other roo (not 100% sure)

 

 

And this is the Buff Silkie Rooster Number 2. A bit younger and with less black in his tail. The dark parts of his tail almost seem blue.

 


So the big question is... which of these two would you use for breeding?

That is a good question - I wasn't aware that buff could have any black in their tails?  Maybe its allowed in the roosters?

 

I like the stance and the comb/wattles better on the second boy - but the comb/wattle color is better on the first.  How is their foot feathering?  The top picture doesn't show a lot of feathering on the center toe - are there feathers there?  Both boys have low wings - but that's what roosters do (1st one better on that)..  Neither has great crests.  I would check both for any drop/split wing issues.

 

I think if that was my choice I would use number 2 with a hen with a really dark comb, a big foofy crest and great foot feathering. Number one looks to have a lot of hard feathers in his tail too but number two looks to have a high tail?

 

I am new to silkies - so my observations are from what I have seen of comments on other people's chickens and my own.  Hopefully somebody who breeds and shows Buffs will chime in and we can get more information.

Dian

 

Everything I say is IMHO.  Usually it is based on my experiences, your mileage may vary...

 

I bought a Silkie to be a broody because my small Styrofoam incubator doesn't like my wood heated house.  However she is so cute I want more... Chicken Math Strikes again!

 

ChickNmamma's Swap Page

Reply

Dian

 

Everything I say is IMHO.  Usually it is based on my experiences, your mileage may vary...

 

I bought a Silkie to be a broody because my small Styrofoam incubator doesn't like my wood heated house.  However she is so cute I want more... Chicken Math Strikes again!

 

ChickNmamma's Swap Page

Reply
post #4538 of 6414

Figured I'd jump on this thread now since I'm starting over with Silkies and got my new cheeps today! (Thanks Peepblessed !!) I got 5 lavender 3-4wk old lavender silkie chicks from Geri Godina (Obsessively Silkie). I'm hoping I have at least 2 hens in this bunch and a roo in this bunch and plan on breeding the hens to my lavender split roo. I'm sure I'll be coming back here to to get info and ask lots of questions! wink.png

 

Here are some pics...

 

 

 

 

 

Orpingtons in Splash, Lavender & Blue

Silkies in Splash, Lavender & Blue

Sizzles & One Frizzle in Splash & Black

Khaki Campbell and Indian Runner Ducks

www.splashtogether.weebly.com

https://www.facebook.com/splashestogether

Reply

Orpingtons in Splash, Lavender & Blue

Silkies in Splash, Lavender & Blue

Sizzles & One Frizzle in Splash & Black

Khaki Campbell and Indian Runner Ducks

www.splashtogether.weebly.com

https://www.facebook.com/splashestogether

Reply
post #4539 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzi777 View Post

Figured I'd jump on this thread now since I'm starting over with Silkies and got my new cheeps today! (Thanks Peepblessed !!) I got 5 lavender 3-4wk old lavender silkie chicks from Geri Godina (Obsessively Silkie). I'm hoping I have at least 2 hens in this bunch and a roo in this bunch and plan on breeding the hens to my lavender split roo. I'm sure I'll be coming back here to to get info and ask lots of questions! wink.png

 

Here are some pics...

 

 

 

 

 

EXTREME Cuteness!

 

I love the way Silkies look in that awkward stage - having a bad hair month?

Dian

 

Everything I say is IMHO.  Usually it is based on my experiences, your mileage may vary...

 

I bought a Silkie to be a broody because my small Styrofoam incubator doesn't like my wood heated house.  However she is so cute I want more... Chicken Math Strikes again!

 

ChickNmamma's Swap Page

Reply

Dian

 

Everything I say is IMHO.  Usually it is based on my experiences, your mileage may vary...

 

I bought a Silkie to be a broody because my small Styrofoam incubator doesn't like my wood heated house.  However she is so cute I want more... Chicken Math Strikes again!

 

ChickNmamma's Swap Page

Reply
post #4540 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickNmamma View Post

EXTREME Cuteness!

 

I love the way Silkies look in that awkward stage - having a bad hair month?


I agree - I love that stage too.  Pretty lavs! 

Gray Hill Silkies

Exhibition Quality Silkies in White, Black, Gray, and Partridge.

www.tipschihuahuas.com (Go to the "Furry Ground Parrots" page)

Member APA, ABA, ASBC.

Reply

Gray Hill Silkies

Exhibition Quality Silkies in White, Black, Gray, and Partridge.

www.tipschihuahuas.com (Go to the "Furry Ground Parrots" page)

Member APA, ABA, ASBC.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › Breeds, Genetics, & Showing › Silkie breeding, genetics & showing