Some of what I'm trying to convey is perspective. Back in the olden days, most large pools were chlorinated using the gaseous form of chlorine, delivered in tanks. Chlorine gas is the purest form, dangerous, and can be deadly. They had just delivered new tanks, and my dad went out to change them. One of the tanks had a broken valve, and he got 1 good whiff of the gas before he realized what had happened, held his breath, and ran out of the pool pump house. He was rushed to the hospital by ambulance, and stayed for 3 days. He was lucky. In the plants that workers turn the gas into liquid, and tablet forms, when there is an accident, there are usually a high number of fatalities.
Far too many people reading something like this tend to overreact as it pertains to their situation. "Oh my gosh, I didn't know it was so dangerous, so I'll never buy another bottle of Clorox again, or anything containing bleach, because I don't want to risk any harm to me, or my family." The media doesn't help. They will go on, and on about how dangerous chlorine is, and it causes cancer. What they fail to mention is that the gas is 100% chlorine, while household bleach is 6% chlorine converted to combine in water, along with a couple other things including salt. No one tells them that pouring 3/4 cup of bleach in their towels while doing laundry, won't cause their home to be filled with deadly gas that will kill them. No one tells them that if a little splashes onto their hand while pouring it, they don't have to rush to the doctor (with the exception of getting it in their eyes). No one tells them that the rinse cycle makes their clothes safe for them to wear, and won't cause them to become cancer laden. They're hearing this, and thinking that so far, they've been very lucky. There is big lack of perspective.
On the other hand, some will then venture to the chlorine bleach website, where they are reassured their product is "safe". They then leave their bottle of bleach under the kitchen counter, along with the measuring cup, for their 3 year old to get into, and enjoy drinking a cup of it. Again, there is a big lack of perspective.
This applies to many of the products we use for other things too, however, the previous topic was Sevin dust. ALL products used as pesticides, even DE powder, no matter how natural, carry some risks, and can be very dangerous when misused, or overused. Of course there is some degree of toxicity, otherwise they wouldn't work. That doesn't mean that they should never be used. On the other hand, when used correctly, and cautiously, they can be beneficial, with less risk than the creepy crawlies pose. There is a huge difference between someone with a home sprayer, mixing the correct product for their situation, or sprinkling a powder, as directed, to treat gardens, crops, and/or livestock, compared to the concentrations, and dispersal methods of the huge commercial fruit/vegetable, or livestock farms. This applies to wormers too. Another issue with both pesticides, and wormers is when they are used as a preventative on chickens, but there is nothing to prevent. When there is nothing to prevent, don't use a preventative pesticide, or wormer.
Nobody wants chickens to "get" anything. The problem with using pesticides, and wormers as a preventative on them, when there is nothing to prevent, is that they become less effective when they are actually needed to prevent, or get rid of something.