I have had chickens for a year having chosen Barred Rocks as my breed. Given that, I bought some generic hens to help with the egg laying process while I accumulate the flock I want.
I have approximately 50 hens (about 20 are Barred Rocks) and one Barred rooster.
I have started incubating my own eggs, not worrying about breeds, to try to get the technique for maximum hatch.
I just hatched out 21 chicks and followed a brooder idea I saw on this forum. I used a Rubbermaid tub for the youngsters and I thought it was safe, draft and cat free and easy to clean. Yes, it was that but it was also a death trap. Somehow the waterer malfunctioned and 17 of the little ones drowned as there was no way to escape the water.
It was a horrible discovery but also a good lesson. I have the four survivors in a box for tonight as they recover and tomorrow will move them into a brooder that I think would work better.
So, the lesson learned is: if you use a Rubbermaid or solid container for brooding please either raise the floor with wire or drill holes in it to allow for fluids to escape. It would have been so simple but not something I would have thought about.
Something to put into your "file" for future use.
Now I have to set more eggs to incubate. I'll do it safer next time. I learn from my mistakes. I hope others can as well.