Originally Posted by ReikiStar
LOL "will eat away at the skin the meat anything"?!!!!!!! OMG. It's peroxide, it's a mild bleach. It's not hydrochloric acid! Thanks for spreading completely false information. There is nothing wrong with using peroxide on a wound, but you would want to use it sparingly because there is wide spread belief that it kills the new skin cells that are needed to growing the scab.
Also wondering why so much time has been wasted on this guy. He has the nerve to repeatedly come in your yard and tell you its not "cool" that you called the cops? If you don't stand up for yourself, why should he stop.
I third the idea of barred wire. If it were me I'd also add a hot wire in there. If one doesn't get him, the other might.
You are just plain WRONG about the use of peroxide here. It is definitely NOT a 'mild bleach' as you put it first of all... It IS definitely cytotoxic (bad for tissue trying to heal and grow) and it has been PROVEN to be less than optimal when it pertains to its use as a bactericidal... Thanks for spreading false information!
Read the following and learn:
Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used as a wound cleanser; it provides an effervescent cleansing action through its release of oxygen. It is commonly used as a 3% solution. Studies available indicate that hydrogen peroxide has limited bactericidal effectiveness. Lineaweaver and coworkers 3 studied various concentrations of hydrogen peroxide for effectiveness against S. aureus. They found the 3% solution to be bactericidal; however, all further dilutions failed to provide any inhibition of this organism.
3 McKenna and associates studies a 0.003% concentration of hydrogen peroxide for bactericidal effectiveness against S. aureus, P. aeruginosa, E. coli, group D Enterococcus, and B. fragilis; they chose this concentration because it was the dilution found to be non cytotoxic in the studies of Lineaweaver and coworkers.
3 In the studies of McKenna and associated, 7 hydrogen peroxide failed to cause inhibition of growth for any of the bacteria tested.
The limited studies available indicate that hydrogen peroxide is cytotoxic at normal concentrations (3%). Lineaweaver and colleagues 3 evaluated the effect of hydrogen peroxide on cultured human fibroblasts and found 100% toxicity at both 3% and a 0.3% concentrations. The 0.3% concentration also provided no inhibition of S. aureus. A 0.03% solution remained moderately toxic, and absence of toxic effect was not demonstrated until the peroxide had been diluted 1:1000 (0.003%). Studies by Burkey and associated 19 substantiated the 1; 1000 dilution required to eliminate cytotoxicity and found that toxic effects on fibroblasts and red blood cells were demonstrated by four of five testing methods.
Current data indicate that hydrogen peroxide is inappropriate for use as an antiseptic. Its cytotoxicity outweighs its limited bactericidal effects.
I will be happy to provide the link to the complete study if you need it. (They DO list ALL of their sources)
Personally, I would not use peroxide on my dogs...
Like I said before, Dakins Solution is the thing to have here. It WILL kill the germies and it will NOT harm any tissue that is trying to regrow, heal, or otherwise repair itself...It is inexpensive as well (you CAN buy it at any local pharmacy) or it can be safely made at home in your own kitchen using things you likely already have laying around...
Clinical studies have confirmed that Dakin’s solution is bactericidal to the organisms commonly encountered in open wounds. Lineaweaver and associates
3 found a 0.005 concentraton to be effective against S. aureus;3 McKenna and colleagues7 found a 0.005% concentration also bactericidal to Pseudomonas aeruginosa. E. coli, group D Enterococcus, and Bacteroides fragilis. McKenna and colleagues 7 also found that a 0.005 solution maintains its bactericidal effectiveness for at least 4 days when kept in a closed container at room temperature. Heggers and colleagues 6 tested a 0.025% concentration of Dakin’s solution against a number of additional organisms. Dakin's Solution
was effective against at this concentration. Organisms tested included methicillin-resistant S. aureus, Streptococcus mitis, Staphylococcus
epidermidis, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, and Proteus mirabilis.
Sodium hypochlorite (Dakin’s solution), first introduced as an antiseptic in 1915, was used extensively in the management of war wounds. 6 It is currently being used with increasing frequency in the management of chronic wounds such as pressure ulcers, especially those with necrotic tissue and clinical infection. Sodium hypochlorite can be prepared by diluting bleach (5.25% NaOCI, or Chlorox) 0.5:10 in distilled water. This provides a 0.25% solution which can then be further diluted. 6