New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meyer Hatchery?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

We're going to be ordering about 5ish chicks from Meyer Hatchery. I was wondering if you think that they're the best place to get chicks from? Did you have any problems? I'd love any feedback!

post #2 of 11

My 3 Black Australorps & 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks came from Meyer & are now 11 days old-so far healthy & growing.  I couldn't be happier!  I talked to several different people in customer service before ordering-asking questions about everything-& they were all patient & super cordial.  I have another order pending for 3 Columbian Wyandottes for Oct. 9. 

post #3 of 11

my 9 came from MPC via Meyer, I ordered 10, one passed just after I received them:(  All others are healthy and now 13 weeks old, no pasty butts ever:)  very friendly, happy with them and I will order from them again

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skips View Post

We're going to be ordering about 5ish chicks from Meyer Hatchery. I was wondering if you think that they're the best place to get chicks from? Did you have any problems? I'd love any feedback!

If you want to start in right way just fogeret the hatchery stuff , buy from breeder, hatchery birds small and get sick eazy.If you like i can post pic to see the difference the breeder birds and hatchery, my first flock from hatchery and i learn the lot after years.

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej View Post

My 3 Black Australorps & 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks came from Meyer & are now 11 days old-so far healthy & growing.  I couldn't be happier!  I talked to several different people in customer service before ordering-asking questions about everything-& they were all patient & super cordial.  I have another order pending for 3 Columbian Wyandottes for Oct. 9. 

Hi bluej,

 

 Was just wondering if you ever received your order of the 3 columbians.  I ordered my entire flock from Meyer last July 23rd.  I got two chickens from 5 different breeds.  Out of the two Columbian W's I ordered, one turned out to be a roo.  I ended up keeping him, but my CW girl is a bit aloof and also flighty.  Rarely does she let me touch her.  She is a pretty thing though.

 

Just wondering how yours are  And congrats again on those first eggs!

 

MB

Original flock of 9 girls and one handsome roo  is 2 years old.  Building a second flock of dream breeds with a focus on Swedish Flower Hens.  Total neophyte learning as I go along! 
Reply
Original flock of 9 girls and one handsome roo  is 2 years old.  Building a second flock of dream breeds with a focus on Swedish Flower Hens.  Total neophyte learning as I go along! 
Reply
post #6 of 11

I ordered from Cackle Hatchery and they all arrived safe and sound big_smile.png ! Two of them died sad.png . I ordered 15 silkies and got 1 extra right so total 16. Now there going to be 5 months old on Tuesday smile.png ! I was actually pleased with their service! All of there staff are nice! They changed the date I was supposed to receive them once but there such great people!

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melabella View Post

Hi bluej,

 

 Was just wondering if you ever received your order of the 3 columbians.  I ordered my entire flock from Meyer last July 23rd.  I got two chickens from 5 different breeds.  Out of the two Columbian W's I ordered, one turned out to be a roo.  I ended up keeping him, but my CW girl is a bit aloof and also flighty.  Rarely does she let me touch her.  She is a pretty thing though.

 

Just wondering how yours are  And congrats again on those first eggs!

 

MB

Hi MB,

 

I did receive the 3 Columbian Wyandottes on Oct. 10.  Despite all my efforts, one who was weak out of the box died at 8 days old.  I was heartbroken.  The other two will be 14 weeks old on Tuesday, & for the time being are living happily in a mini coup & run in my greenhouse.  I had hoped to have merged them with the other 6 by now, but as you can see from the photo below taken today, Bitsy Demon has not yet become fully feathered.  Notice that you can actually see her bare skin on her wings (shoulders)!  And look at her tail compared to Chanel.  Her wing feathers are black instead of white.  Genetics, I guess.

Bitsy Demon (She ran around the brooder box like a lunatic until she was 2 weeks old!  She's very sweet now.)

 

Searching on the forum, I'm encouraged to find that others who have had a chicken with this problem say they always eventually get their adult plummage.

 

Chanel is a great flyer, & regularly launches herself from the ground to my arm or shoulder about 4 feet up into the air!  Bitsy, on the other hand, squats & bounces as if to say "I'm gonna fly, here I come!" only to manage a height of about a foot!.  Compared to the 1st 6 (Barred Rocks & Australorps) they have completely different personalities. 

 

I'm hoping for a smooth, uneventful merge when Bitsy grows her big girl feathers or when the weather is warmer, whichever comes first!!

 

Chanel on the left, Bitsy Demon on the right.

 

Chanel in the foreground.  She's a very dignified lady!

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej View Post

Hi MB,

 

I did receive the 3 Columbian Wyandottes on Oct. 10.  Despite all my efforts, one who was weak out of the box died at 8 days old.  I was heartbroken.  The other two will be 14 weeks old on Tuesday, & for the time being are living happily in a mini coup & run in my greenhouse.  I had hoped to have merged them with the other 6 by now, but as you can see from the photo below taken today, Bitsy Demon has not yet become fully feathered.  Notice that you can actually see her bare skin on her wings (shoulders)!  And look at her tail compared to Chanel.  Her wing feathers are black instead of white.  Genetics, I guess.

Bitsy Demon (She ran around the brooder box like a lunatic until she was 2 weeks old!  She's very sweet now.)

 

Searching on the forum, I'm encouraged to find that others who have had a chicken with this problem say they always eventually get their adult plummage.

 

Chanel is a great flyer, & regularly launches herself from the ground to my arm or shoulder about 4 feet up into the air!  Bitsy, on the other hand, squats & bounces as if to say "I'm gonna fly, here I come!" only to manage a height of about a foot!.  Compared to the 1st 6 (Barred Rocks & Australorps) they have completely different personalities. 

 

I'm hoping for a smooth, uneventful merge when Bitsy grows her big girl feathers or when the weather is warmer, whichever comes first!!

 

Chanel on the left, Bitsy Demon on the right.

 

Chanel in the foreground.  She's a very dignified lady!

Wow,, how cute are they, and how lucky are they to have you as their owner?  The things we do for our chickens!  I have started to read up about learning how to integrate new chicks into an existing flock as I would love to add a few breeds.  I would love to have some blue eggs, and also dreaming of some coronation sussex. 

Here is Duke, my mis sexed Roo from my July 23rd hatch.

Columbian Wyandotte Roo Duke  25 weeks old.

I can't find a picture of Daisy, his breed partner that is current.  I will try to snap one today. 

 

Keep me posted how the blending of the flock goes.  I hope that  girl grows some feathers soon! 
Have a great day,

MB

Original flock of 9 girls and one handsome roo  is 2 years old.  Building a second flock of dream breeds with a focus on Swedish Flower Hens.  Total neophyte learning as I go along! 
Reply
Original flock of 9 girls and one handsome roo  is 2 years old.  Building a second flock of dream breeds with a focus on Swedish Flower Hens.  Total neophyte learning as I go along! 
Reply
post #9 of 11

I just orderd 36 chicks, + 1 Meal Maker from Meyer Hatchery, they will be here this Thursday.  I have bought from them before and have always had very good luck with the chicks.  I bought 36 hatching eggs from a breeder here in NY and not one single egg hatched.  I have hatched out many eggs in the past, and I think the lady knew there might be a problem, because she told me she thought the eggs might have gotten too cold as she went to the coop to get them the morning I went to get them. (Below freezing that morning)  They were also pretty dirty.  She told me to call her with my hatch numbers and she would replace the eggs that didn't hatch.  I called her, she gave me some story about having to go to dr. office and she would call me back with a time to get more.  That was over a week ago and she hasn't called me back and won't return my phone calls, so I ordered some.  I got straight run so I can have my own fertile eggs and can hatch out my own.  I will have 94 chickens, so I am in the hopes I will never have to buy chicks again.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaversfarm View Post

I just orderd 36 chicks, + 1 Meal Maker from Meyer Hatchery, they will be here this Thursday.  I have bought from them before and have always had very good luck with the chicks.  I bought 36 hatching eggs from a breeder here in NY and not one single egg hatched.  I have hatched out many eggs in the past, and I think the lady knew there might be a problem, because she told me she thought the eggs might have gotten too cold as she went to the coop to get them the morning I went to get them. (Below freezing that morning)  They were also pretty dirty.  She told me to call her with my hatch numbers and she would replace the eggs that didn't hatch.  I called her, she gave me some story about having to go to dr. office and she would call me back with a time to get more.  That was over a week ago and she hasn't called me back and won't return my phone calls, so I ordered some.  I got straight run so I can have my own fertile eggs and can hatch out my own.  I will have 94 chickens, so I am in the hopes I will never have to buy chicks again.

WOW... sorry to hear about your troubles.  I am in NY too, and hope I never have to deal with a breeder like that! 

 

So, you all ready have grown chickens then?  What breeds do you have, and what did you order this time?  Hope all goes well for you!fl.gif


MB

Original flock of 9 girls and one handsome roo  is 2 years old.  Building a second flock of dream breeds with a focus on Swedish Flower Hens.  Total neophyte learning as I go along! 
Reply
Original flock of 9 girls and one handsome roo  is 2 years old.  Building a second flock of dream breeds with a focus on Swedish Flower Hens.  Total neophyte learning as I go along! 
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raising Baby Chicks