Originally Posted by Nifty-Chicken
BYC has over 150,000 members using hundreds of email providers. We send out a TON of email to members every day, many of which are subscriptions to posts, private message notifications, etc.
Once in a while an email may not get delivered to the recipient. There are hundreds of potential causes for this, but here a few main reasons:
- Our system didn't send an email because a user is not subscribed to the item or they are unsubscribed from receiving all email (see below).
- After our system sends the email it is lost in one of the bazillion of touch points on it's way to your computer
- Your ISP (email provider, internet provider) may be blocking BYC's emails
- Your email system and/or software may be marking BYC's email as spam.
We've found times where members have come up as "unsubscribed" to ALL emails from BYC. This happens for a few reasons, including:
- You click the link in an email from BYC that says "stop receiving ALL email from us (including private message notifications), please use our one-click unsubscribe." This removes you from ALL emails... PERMANENTLY.
- The emails to your host bounce. After our email system receives a handful of bounced emails (meaning your service provider isn't allowing the emails to get to your account) our system removes you from ALL emails.
For this use case we have a new feature:
Email Opt-In Now Visible to Users
We get lot of requests from users who mention they can't get email from the site anymore, only to learn that the user themselves clicked the global unsubscribe link in an email, thereby opting out of all site email.
We did some reorganization of the "Edit Account Details" page within the user profile to make things more transparent to users. You'll now see if they have opted out of all email, or only certain kinds. You'll also be able to opt back in yourselves!
What it looks like when a user is opted out of all site email:
You just has to re-check that box to resume receiving site email. Remember that if you want to change individual content subscriptions, that's done on the Subscriptions page of the site.
If you are NOT getting emails from BYC, do ALL of the following:
- Triple check your spam filters to see if the BYC emails have gone there.
- Triple check your subscription settings here on BYC to make sure you are subscribed to the item you want to receive notifications on.
- Triple check the new email preferences setting in your profile
- Add email@example.com to your email system's address book, whitelist, safe-sender list, etc.
- If possible, test a different email address with a different provider. Some email providers (AOL for example) are notorious for not being super friendly to BYC and many other sites.
- If after doing ALL the steps above, reply to this post with a note that you've 100% done steps 1-5 above and let us know the day and time of your last email, and type (pm notification, thread subscription, etc.) of emails you are and are not getting from BYC.
Again, we recognize that a relatively small percent of our members are having this problem but that it can be very frustrating for you. We thank you for you help and patience as we work through trying to fix these issues!