BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Humidity for hatching duck eggs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Humidity for hatching duck eggs?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I know the ideal temperature is 99.5 fahrenheit, but can range from 98-101, no higher. I also know that the last 5 days or so the humidity should be at roughly 90%, but as for the whole other part of the incubation, what is an ideal constant humidity to keep the eggs at? They are mallard eggs if that changes anything.

post #2 of 19

Hi Duckman!

 

I love hatching ducks.  I keep my humidity between 35-and 45% as much as possible the first 25 days.  Then, up humidity to 75%.  90% is a bit high.

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed  I think you will find this link very helpfull.  I use this to the dot for goose eggs, and its pretty much what I do for ducks allready.  However, I only cool the duck eggs for 15 minutes, not 30, and I spritz mine directly 2-3x a day, just like a mama duck getting up for a quick snack and swim, then back to the eggs.

 

Happy Hatching!

NPIP tested geese, ducks, chickens, and turkeys

Reply

NPIP tested geese, ducks, chickens, and turkeys

Reply
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1876 View Post

Hi Duckman!

 

I love hatching ducks.  I keep my humidity between 35-and 45% as much as possible the first 25 days.  Then, up humidity to 75%.  90% is a bit high.

 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed  I think you will find this link very helpfull.  I use this to the dot for goose eggs, and its pretty much what I do for ducks allready.  However, I only cool the duck eggs for 15 minutes, not 30, and I spritz mine directly 2-3x a day, just like a mama duck getting up for a quick snack and swim, then back to the eggs.

 

Happy Hatching!

Thanks so much for the reply, Marty! I watched a video on hatching chicken eggs and the person said that the humidity should be at 55-70% all the time, and I thought that was a lot! 35-45% is tons different!!! I'll keep that in mind. As for the temperature, did I have that correct?

post #4 of 19

Yes, pretty much.  Ideally they will be 99 to 99.5, but if you go up or down briefly its no problem.  The more eggs or water filled objects to take up space in the incubator, the better it will hold temp without wandering up and down all the time.  Remember, don't freak if it moves a bit, but try to keep it at 99.  Its the temp INSIDE the eggs thats important.  I actually bought a toy called a water weasil (google it) and if you keep it in with your eggs, you can stick a medical thermometer in it, and always know what the temp inside your eggs are based on the temp inside the water weasil.  Very useful tool to keep one from stressing too much.  If you keep the water weasil temps at 99-99.5, you always know your eggs are ok even if the air temp varies.  It takes a little while for air temp changes to change the inside the egg temps.

 

Hope this helps.  Feel free to PM me if you need add'l help as you get closer to hatch.  I'm always glad to help.

NPIP tested geese, ducks, chickens, and turkeys

Reply

NPIP tested geese, ducks, chickens, and turkeys

Reply
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1876 View Post

Yes, pretty much.  Ideally they will be 99 to 99.5, but if you go up or down briefly its no problem.  The more eggs or water filled objects to take up space in the incubator, the better it will hold temp without wandering up and down all the time.  Remember, don't freak if it moves a bit, but try to keep it at 99.  Its the temp INSIDE the eggs thats important.  I actually bought a toy called a water weasil (google it) and if you keep it in with your eggs, you can stick a medical thermometer in it, and always know what the temp inside your eggs are based on the temp inside the water weasil.  Very useful tool to keep one from stressing too much.  If you keep the water weasil temps at 99-99.5, you always know your eggs are ok even if the air temp varies.  It takes a little while for air temp changes to change the inside the egg temps.

 

Hope this helps.  Feel free to PM me if you need add'l help as you get closer to hatch.  I'm always glad to help.

Yes this helped a lot, I think I might buy a Water Weasel! Although I did purchase a nice little digital thermometer and humidity gauge in-one which I think will help a lot! I'll keep this stuff in mind, and I'll let you know if I need anything else. I'll try to remember to let you know when they hatch, but it will be a while smile.png 

 

thanks again for your help!

post #6 of 19

be sure you calibrate the thermometer or it could be way off and you would never know it. An off thermometer can cause bad hatches.


Celtic Oaks Farm LLC

Sebastopol ~~~ Exhibition Dewlap Toulouse ~~~ American

NPIP - FL 58-1834-E FL Farm Reg:00JRB4N

 

Send us an EMAIL .... Like Us on Facebook Visit us on the web CelticOaks.com


Shipping live birds Article
 

Reply


Celtic Oaks Farm LLC

Sebastopol ~~~ Exhibition Dewlap Toulouse ~~~ American

NPIP - FL 58-1834-E FL Farm Reg:00JRB4N

 

Send us an EMAIL .... Like Us on Facebook Visit us on the web CelticOaks.com


Shipping live birds Article
 

Reply
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticOaksFarm View Post

be sure you calibrate the thermometer or it could be way off and you would never know it. An off thermometer can cause bad hatches.

How do you recommend doing that??

This is the thermometer I have.
http://www.acurite.com/weather/thermometers/digital-humidity-temperature-comfort-monitor-00619.html
Edited by duckman4450 - 10/14/12 at 7:37am
post #8 of 19


Celtic Oaks Farm LLC

Sebastopol ~~~ Exhibition Dewlap Toulouse ~~~ American

NPIP - FL 58-1834-E FL Farm Reg:00JRB4N

 

Send us an EMAIL .... Like Us on Facebook Visit us on the web CelticOaks.com


Shipping live birds Article
 

Reply


Celtic Oaks Farm LLC

Sebastopol ~~~ Exhibition Dewlap Toulouse ~~~ American

NPIP - FL 58-1834-E FL Farm Reg:00JRB4N

 

Send us an EMAIL .... Like Us on Facebook Visit us on the web CelticOaks.com


Shipping live birds Article
 

Reply
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticOaksFarm View Post

Hygrometer calibration:

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm

 

 

Thermometer calibration:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4526037_calibrate-a-thermometer.html

I'll do that, thanks very much

post #10 of 19

Definately calibrate like celtic suggested.  She hatches more eggs than any of us, of every conceivable fowl variety as far as I know.  :D

NPIP tested geese, ducks, chickens, and turkeys

Reply

NPIP tested geese, ducks, chickens, and turkeys

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Humidity for hatching duck eggs?