BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps - Page 3613

post #36121 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggena View Post

I've had a few eagles circle the property. Usually the resident crow flocks run them off. There are 4 groups of crows nesting within a 1/4 mile radius of my property. My acre is basically a no fly-zone. 
We've got tons of crows, and they were squawking up a storm but I guess this was a very bold eagle.
post #36122 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjorg View Post

We had a terrible mother sit on some eggs, she broke most of them but one hatched. She won't take care of it so now it's under a lamp. It needs a friend, anyone in the Kent Covington area have a chick to get rid of? Ours is 2 days old.

Awww, I hope you find another chick or two soon. Agree about checking Craigslist, and what about a local poultry group on Facebook?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeMeHomeJoJo View Post

No more free ranging for our girls! I've been letting them out daily while we're at work and it's been all good. But this morning, we witnessed (and intervened in) a really close call with a bald eagle!!! I was looking through the back door as a baldy swooped down at the girls! One ran for the bushes and two ran for the pen but the eagle followed them into the pen!!! I ran out yelling and clapping but now the eagle can't figure out how to get out - it's flying right into the mesh walls while the chickens are running in circles in a panic. I finally got the eagle out and the girls are okay, but terribly spooked to say the least. I wish I could have taken a picture while still trying to save my hens! But alas. I was within a few feet of the biggest bird I've ever seen!

What an experience!!! :hide

 

We have so many hawks and bald eagles nesting in our neighborhood. Also a couple of crows' nests, so they do usually run them off. 

But I did watch a hawk attack one of their nests (from a distance, thank goodness). There must have been 30+ crows circling and dive bombing the hawk, but I don't think it worked.

But I also watched them run off two red tail hawks.

post #36123 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnehd View Post

Awww, I hope you find another chick or two soon. Agree about checking Craigslist, and what about a local poultry group on Facebook?

What an experience!!! hide.gif

We have so many hawks and bald eagles nesting in our neighborhood. Also a couple of crows' nests, so they do usually run them off. 
But I did watch a hawk attack one of their nests (from a distance, thank goodness). There must have been 30+ crows circling and dive bombing the hawk, but I don't think it worked.
But I also watched them run off two red tail hawks.
I'm bummed because they were really enjoying free ranging but now I'm worried.
post #36124 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeMeHomeJoJo View Post


I'm bummed because they were really enjoying free ranging but now I'm worried.

It is a rough decision when you only have a few BY chickens. People say you have to accept losses, but if you have 3-4 chickens, losing one chicken is a 25-30% loss!!! 

 

I decided to extend my run using U posts + deer fencing on the sides, with poultry netting over the top. This is connected to my coop/run via a short tunnel. So it is sort of a secondary, day time run only.

They have more room during the day, then I let them out for an hour or two in the evening when I'm home and my dog is out.

post #36125 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saris View Post

Poor chickie. A stuffed animal will help in the mean time. Have you checked craigslist for chicks?

Trying craigslist, just can't find any that young.
post #36126 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjorg View Post


Trying craigslist, just can't find any that young.


If you're close enough, try Baxter Barn Farms in Fall City.

post #36127 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnehd View Post

It is a rough decision when you only have a few BY chickens. People say you have to accept losses, but if you have 3-4 chickens, losing one chicken is a 25-30% loss!!! 

I decided to extend my run using U posts + deer fencing on the sides, with poultry netting over the top. This is connected to my coop/run via a short tunnel. So it is sort of a secondary, day time run only.
They have more room during the day, then I let them out for an hour or two in the evening when I'm home and my dog is out.
That's a good idea. Unfortunately my dog is one of their predators!

Poor girls haven't left the coop all day. We coaxed them out for a minute or two to make sure they're ok; they ate a tiny bit then went right back in. They're hiding in the best boxes.
post #36128 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjorg View Post

We had a terrible mother sit on some eggs, she broke most of them but one hatched. She won't take care of it so now it's under a lamp. It needs a friend, anyone in the Kent Covington area have a chick to get rid of? Ours is 2 days old.

I actually do! We hatched a white supposed Easter Egger and I don't like white birds. It hatched on Mother's Day. It was my daughter's first solo hatch and it was from some eggs I purchased that were honestly the worst eggs I have ever seen. I had my husband pick them up for me and I had thought a nyone selling hatching eggs would know that pullet eggs and double yolks are not hatching eggs. The best sized ones for hatching were deformed so there were only a few actual hatching eggs in the dozen I bought. I even decided to contact the seller and of course she did not reply so I know she was scamming me with worthless eggs. I really don't want to raise this chick as a reminder that I got scammed.
post #36129 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasher View Post

Oh wow! That must have felt like a great attack. I'm glad your birds are safe! I always thought of Bald Eagles as fish eaters, but I guess if the opportunity presents... ep.gif:

I had no idea the size of them until moving up here and seeing the pair by the 520 bridge each morning. Holy smokes.

When we lived in Ellensburg we saw them all the time but they seemed to find plenty of meat without going after our chickens and ducks (chocolate Muscovies at that time). If we drove to Yakima along the river they were everywhere.

I have seen one here but the crows drove it off. That is the only good thing about having a pack of crows in our area. I love eagles but I would not want to feed one my birds.
post #36130 of 39211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeMeHomeJoJo View Post

That's a good idea. Unfortunately my dog is one of their predators!

Poor girls haven't left the coop all day. We coaxed them out for a minute or two to make sure they're ok; they ate a tiny bit then went right back in. They're hiding in the best boxes.

Fortunately they are wise to eagles without any loss of life and the eagle was traumatized by the experience too. Hopefully there will not be another encounter between them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Where am I? Where are you!
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps