This morning between 8 am and noon our heat lamp exploded in the baby chick coop, shattered in numerous small and big pieces.
Luckily I couldn't find any visible injuries - no cuts no burns, but the temperature in the coop dropped to 69 and the babies are only 10 days old.
The 125 Watt/120 Volt infrared heat lamp was purchased at Big 'R' from DDI inc. and still far away from the promised 5000 hour average life.
I do not even wanna think about what could have happened......the whole coop including the chicks could have burned down including garage and house.........
Now I am very concerned about the safety!
Does anybody have great/not so good experiences with heat lamps? Any recommendations? What companies to stay away from?