Winners announced here!
Short Version: Write a great article and you could win a $30 or $15 Amazon Gift Card & have your article featured on the homepage of BYC!
We are constantly amazed at how knowledgeable and helpful our community members are! The BYC forum provides a wonderful opportunity for members to post questions and reply with answers. Unfortunately a lot of really amazing information can get lost in the super activity on the forum.
Over the years we’ve received a ton of requests to add more articles & FAQ’s to our Learning Center. Our BYC Coop Page Contests have been super successful and now we have over 900 chicken coop pages in our Coop Designs section! Hopefully we can have similar success with this BYC Article Contest!!
- You write an article (or two)
- Contest ends on 3/31/2012! Once we have at least 40 article submissions we’ll set an end date for the contest (at least 1 week notice)
- We’ll judge the articles & pick winners
- The first 2 best articles will get a $30 Amazon Gift Card & have their articles “Featured” on the homepage of BYC for at least 1 week each
- The next 3 best articles will get a $15 Amazon Gift Card & have their articles “Featured” on the homepage of BYC for at least 3 days each
- The next 5 best articles will get a FREE 6 month GFM for themselves or a friend
So, if we get 40 submissions, you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning!!!
How To Enter:
- Pick a chicken related topic (see below). We suggest writing an article that is not already covered in our Learning Center, but is a topic that would be a good addition to one of the sections in the Learning Center. We have some preferred topics below.
- Visit the Member Pages section & Click the “Add a Member Page” button toward the top left of the page.
- Create a well worded & detailed title. Example: “How To Raise & Process Chickens for Meat - Tips & Pictures” is much better than: “Meat Chickens”
- Write a unique high quality article with around 750 words (more is fine as long as it is good / helpful info). It must have at least one picture relative to the subject. Bonus points if you add more pics (pictures are usually worth 1,000 words, but in this contest they are worth about 10 - 50 )
- Post a reply to this thread with a link to your completed article(s) - A maximum of two article submissions per member will be allowed.
- All articles must be posted in the Member Pages section
- All articles must be written by you and must be unique (not copy / pasted from other sources)
- Sorry, articles and pages submitted to our last contest will not count for this contest.
- All articles must contain accurate information, and must be a minimum of 500 words (shoot for 750+), and should contain pictures relative to the subject matter
- Please spell check your article(s)
- BYC retains full license of articles submitted
- At least 30 articles need to be submitted before the contest ends
- Contest is void where prohibited
Here are articles we'd LOVE to see written (bonus points if you use these titles and write a great article about these items):
- Chicken Behaviors & Egg Laying - Common Questions & Answers
- Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances - Are Chickens Legal In Your City?
- Chicken Breeds - How to choose a breed for your backyard flock
- Egg Incubation - How to hatch eggs - choosing an incubator
- Chickens Loosing Feathers? Managing Your Flock's Molt
- Discouraging Bullying Chicken Behavior
- Factors that Influence & Affect Egg Laying
- Why Raise Chickens In Your Backyard? The Many Reasons & Benefits
- How To Raise & Process Chickens for Meat - Tips & Pictures
- Crossing the Road… And a Ton of Other Chicken-Related Jokes!
- Where To Buy Backyard Chickens, Baby Chicks, And Hatching Eggs
- Encouraging Or Discouraging Broodiness In Your Hens
- Totem Talk - Chicken Pecking Order - How, Where, When, & Why
- The Pros & Cons of Different Litter & Bedding Types
- Trimming Your Chicken's Nails & Spurs - Tutorial
- How to Diagnose and Treat an Eggbound Hen
- Tractor vs. Permanent Coop - The Pros & Cons
- Coccidiosis & How To Treat It
- How to Change Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances
- Preparing Your Flock for Storms & Adverse Weather Conditions
- Insulating Your Coop - Why and How
These are preferred topics, but you can also write about any other chicken related topic as long as you follow the suggestions and rules above.
Here are some great examples of existing BYC articles:
- How To Incubate & Hatch Eggs
- How To Raise Baby Chicks
- Chicken Treat Chart
- Using Sand in your Coops
We look forward to your submissions!!
(Wait, you’re not the writing type? If you have an idea for an article that you’d like to see someone write, please reply with a sample title and a quick description of what you’d like to see in the article.)