Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- itemCall Ducktagged by jchny2000, 4/25/16
- itemChoosing & Raising Chickenstagged by jchny2000, 5/5/16
- categoryDuckstagged by jchny2000, 1/18/16
- brandFrench White Muscovytagged by jchny2000, 2/3/16
- categoryGeesetagged by jchny2000, 1/18/16
- itemGolden Pheasanttagged by jchny2000, 1/18/16
- topicIncubating Hatching Eggstagged by jchny2000, 2/14/16
- topicIncubatorstagged by jchny2000, 2/14/16
- topicIndiana Ordinancestagged by jchny2000, 1/18/16
- itemMallardtagged by jchny2000, 4/25/16More
- itemMuscovytagged by jchny2000, 2/3/16
- categoryOther Poultrytagged by jchny2000, 1/18/16
- itemPeafowltagged by jchny2000, 1/18/16
- itemPearl Guineatagged by jchny2000, 1/18/16
- categoryQuailtagged by jchny2000, 1/18/16
- categoryTurkeystagged by jchny2000, 1/18/16
Related Forum Threads
- Chicken Nutrition- What Your Chicken Needs in Its Feed Last post on 9/5/16 at 1:58am in Feeding & Watering Your Flock
- EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn everything from hatching to... Last post on Today at 8:38 am in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- WANTED Swan Hatching Eggs or any duck breeds. Last post on 4/29/15 at 7:01pm in Other Poultry - Birds & Hatching Eggs
- Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy Last post on 9/24/16 at 5:55pm in Ducks
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks Last post on 10/12/16 at 11:05am in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
Griffin Nest - Homepage
Last edited: 8/5/16
- The Ultimate Medicine Dosing ChartLast edited: 10/17/12
- Hatching Eggs 101Last edited: 10/12/16
- Incubating And Hatching Muscovy EggsLast edited: 4/27/14
- Malformation, Disabilities, Deformations in Quail and How to Cure...Last edited: 6/26/14
I bought a one of these this summer. It is fantastic. It will pluck 2 birds in 10-15 seconds. My son in law and I cleaned 20 birds in less than 90 minutes. At the end of 90 minutes they were...
Mini Ecos are a great choice for those who want a quality small incubator but don't want to break the bank. Although you will have to turn the eggs yourself and the temperature readout is not...
A Brinsea Mini was my first incubator and it will be my last too. It is a high quality small incubator for the backyard hobbyist; no, you can't hatch a ton of chicks out of it, but it's ideal for...
Can't seem to get any tech support. Can't seem to reset it. Alarm was very annoying while trying to figure out why it won't climb to set temps.
I have one specific polish that I have owned for over five years now and she is still my favorite bird. She (and all of the other polish) will perch on my shoulder and will literally act...
INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! - Page 4129
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #41282 of 499256/5/15 at 5:34amQuote:Too cute! But very good of you!!Originally Posted by Mother2Hens
Welcome daskhan! There are two links at the bottom of my post to find out more about our great Indiana Thread!
As I understand it, auctions, swap meets, etc. are closed because of the avian flu. I hope that you can help the chicks or find someone to help them because they'll probably just get worse. This site has helpful info about foot and leg problems. Poultry Podiatry - PoultryPedia When I first got chickens three years ago, I felt inadequate about dealing with any medical issues, but I found that I had to dive right in and learn as much as I could. There are many types of injuries and illnesses that can happen to chickens, and you know what they say-- the more knowledge and experience you get, the more confident you'll feel. We are here to help if you need tips or encouragement.
Love the photos from the past few days! @pginsber
's mama and babies, @DuckiesGarden
's little silver fluff, @ellymayRans
's black and white beauties and @chickiebaby1
's photo shoot of lots of varieties (don't forget, everyone, to please name breeds for those of us who can't keep them all straight! lol)
Great photo @bradselig
Originally Posted by bradselig
For the people who have never seen a baby quail in person I think this picture helps understand the size difference. Quail next to a bantam cochin. Both are same age!
Btw, when my air conditioner guy came over for the spring check-up the other day, I had him spray his boots and his booties with Lysol! Luckily, he grew up with chickens and was familiar with the current avian flu problem, so he didn't think I was totally nuts!post #41283 of 499256/5/15 at 5:39amHere's a pic of the girls (Olive Eggers) @Mother2Hens hen hatched and now they're back with us. Such funny personalities! My Golden Cuckoo Marans has taken up watch duty while ranging the other day.post #41284 of 499256/5/15 at 7:30amQuote:
I always take my broodies and put them in a broody pen, that way I don't worry about others fighting for her box or her leaving to perch with the others, or when the chicks hatch the other chickens killing and eating the babies ( it happened 1 year and it was the last time I had that problem )Quote:
I got to see my first quail chicks when my friend brought some over for me to chick sit... I couldn't get over it, and they get in the water and play... I am thinking I need some, just don't know what I would do with them?? What do people do with them?? Other than eat them!Quote:Originally Posted by ellymayRans
My IB Peahen is back to laying. The kids came in with 2 eggs they found in the front flower bed. Now question is why those boys were in my flowers!?!?! Haha!
3 total. I will be setting them this weekend.
My lone Peachick is still doing wonderful and it is getting spoiled as expected! Everyone in the house gets "her" out and loves and chills with her on the couch. My 5 year old went to kiss her and it grabbed his eyelid!! Yikes! That freaked me out but as all curious birds it goes for my fingernails and rings..luckily it doesn't hurt and it's not doing it to be mean.
I can see some spoilage happening here... lolMom to: 3 horses, 3 boar nannys, 1 billy and 1 spotted Boar nanny, 1 Nubian Doe, 1 nubian billy, 1 ober doe, 1 LaMancha billy and 2 LaMancha does, 2 GP LGD, 1 American Standfordshire, 1 Ridgeback, 1 black Lab and 1 tri-colored Aussie and 1 Aussie/AS. 5 LF Brhama hens, 7 White rock hens, 3 Blk Auslops sex to be determined, 2 SF pullets, 3 BCM's sex to be determined, 1 BM pullet, 1 buff Cohin...Mom to: 3 horses, 3 boar nannys, 1 billy and 1 spotted Boar nanny, 1 Nubian Doe, 1 nubian billy, 1 ober doe, 1 LaMancha billy and 2 LaMancha does, 2 GP LGD, 1 American Standfordshire, 1 Ridgeback, 1 black Lab and 1 tri-colored Aussie and 1 Aussie/AS. 5 LF Brhama hens, 7 White rock hens, 3 Blk Auslops sex to be determined, 2 SF pullets, 3 BCM's sex to be determined, 1 BM pullet, 1 buff Cohin...post #41285 of 499256/5/15 at 7:51amI don't have a space to put my broodys by themselves unfortunately but I do block the box they're in so the other birds don't bother them. I like using them to hatch, they have a much better hatch rate than my bator!
Anyone here make their own butter? I'm so tired of store butter, I'm going to try making my own!post #41286 of 499256/5/15 at 8:00am
I am going to try and load pic's again... first ( cause I'm proud of myslef as a first time hatcher ) lol
first chick hatched it is 2 days old and already sitting on the stick, the black one to the left was the 2nd one hatched.
the chick in front and the 2 tiny Silkie chicks to left and back. had 3 Silkie chicks hatch but 1 died before it dried.
The blond chick the black silkie, there is a blue Silkie chick in there too but it is hiding pretty good...
anyone have a guess as to what breed this is, I'm thinking wellie maybe, I only have BJG, welsummer and BR's in the incubator, but I dont remember Wellies looking like that as chicks???
a little better pic of the Silkie chicks in the back.
this was the 4th one to hatch, all the others are in the brooder but I cant put her in it cause she wont stand up, anyone have any ideals as to why and is there anything I can do for it???
I have decided to just make another post due to the sz and to keep the subjects separated.Mom to: 3 horses, 3 boar nannys, 1 billy and 1 spotted Boar nanny, 1 Nubian Doe, 1 nubian billy, 1 ober doe, 1 LaMancha billy and 2 LaMancha does, 2 GP LGD, 1 American Standfordshire, 1 Ridgeback, 1 black Lab and 1 tri-colored Aussie and 1 Aussie/AS. 5 LF Brhama hens, 7 White rock hens, 3 Blk Auslops sex to be determined, 2 SF pullets, 3 BCM's sex to be determined, 1 BM pullet, 1 buff Cohin...post #41287 of 499256/5/15 at 8:01amQuote:Same here. I can't seperate my broodies. If I did I'd use them to hatch. The current broody count here is up to 14 hens as of last night! They are driving me crazy!Originally Posted by browncow15
I don't have a space to put my broodys by themselves unfortunately but I do block the box they're in so the other birds don't bother them. I like using them to hatch, they have a much better hatch rate than my bator!
Anyone here make their own butter? I'm so tired of store butter, I'm going to try making my own!
Edited by bradselig - 6/5/15 at 8:02ampost #41288 of 499256/5/15 at 8:27amQuote:
Oh my! I've got 2 and a half at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I have fewer birds than you too!post #41289 of 499256/5/15 at 8:36am
Ok I posted a question the other day but couldn't get pic's to load so here are the pic's and a repeat question just to recap...
I was given some chicks to care for by a friend that is having a fox problem. She has a hunting cam ( whatever they are called ) and has also found 10 coons. So I have whats left of her chicks. She told me what they were supposed to be but a few of them I don't agree with. Would like everyone's OP on what you guys think is in this batch. I asked her if she would mind and she said it was fine, she wants to know too.
Sorry about the bad pic's I think I need a new camera.
Thanks for looking and giving your OP's as to what these chicks are in advance. Hope everyone has a great day.
My disappearing hen and her chicks, check out these colors, I think they are neat!!
My " Fish Chicken's... lol
I love my Fish Chickens even with their black beards...
Ok I'm done....... for now lolpost #41290 of 499256/5/15 at 8:46am
I am so far behind. WIth 4-H projects and chicken projects here at home barely have time to sleep.
About an hour ago our dog, a Giant Schnauzer, Judah, an excellent guarder of chickens, was hit by a car. DH and DD were out front, Judah started barking, DD opened the door to get him to stop barking so DH could talk to the person he was trying to talk to. There was a dog walking by - that is why he started barking. He ran after the dog. We live on a main street. He was hit hard by someone who did not even stop.
DH has him at an emergency clinic close by right now. We are all a mess. DD is hysterical b/c she opened the door. DH called to him which made him go back across the street which is when he got hit so they both feel horrible.
If you are a praying person will you please pray for our pup? He is such a good dog, he was a rescue, had been abused, and has ended up being the most amazing chicken dog.
Here is a picture of him from a year ago right after we shaved him for the summer - he was keeping watch over his flock.
Thanks all - we can't seem to catch a break here at our house - it seem like one crisis after another, some big, some small.
- The Ultimate Medicine Dosing Chart
- › The Old Folks Home 10 seconds ago
- › The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 20 seconds ago
- › BYC Member Interview - getaclue 37 seconds ago
- › Is this vent gleet or is she egg bound??????? 50 seconds ago
- › Poultry school, Enroll Today! (chickens/ducks/geese,Any poultry!) 1 minute ago
- › Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank 1 minute ago
- › Who to keep? 1 minute ago
- › Barred Rock / Rhode Island Red Cross 1 minute ago
- › How old for first deworming? 1 minute ago
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Leghorn by RodNTN
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Amber Whites by Flock Master64
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy 3.5 oz Bag by Venevee
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.