If she is expecting, he said its another 45 days most, UGH. Marked the calendar! He also said it will be harder to breed her, longer we wait... He has a young holstein bull, not the bull I want to use. But he has offered to loan him. He may encourage her to breed if she is not pregnant. If I do, he will be staying with us for a month. And he is horned, sooo. That means running hot wire and finishing the second pasture. I won't chance keeping him in with the goats and donkey. My hog pen is also in my current pasture so it would make daily management difficult. I am waiting out the 45 days he suggested, and we will finish that new pasture in the meantime. I won't put myself in a pasture with an unfamiliar bull, no way. Going to discuss with my vet if he can do an ultrasound, something to see if we have a calf. Its a long gestation period, so I want to plan a birth for warmer weather.
Certainly would think a better option can be found than that Holstein. Spent far too much of my youth around Holsteins. Worse than most beefers IMO. Jerseys are so good natured, seems such a waste to dilute that with Holstein crazy.
I adore my girl! She is so gentle. Gives you kisses and has never been any problem handling, milking and loves interacting. I have had some experience with Holstein and yea. Not so pleased with the demeanor. Our goal is a calf yearly for meat and milk from Fanny. She has 2 blank quarters and that's plenty of milk for us.