BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! - Page 5032

post #50311 of 51628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lengerich Farms View Post

... and lots of cursing,...

@Lengerich Farms

 

That'll do it every time.  :rant:duc

Do Not Wait to Honor and Learn from Those Who Have Experience.  Then, in Turn, Pass it To Others Because....

"When an Elder Dies, a Library Burns to the Ground"  (Old African Saying)

Reply

Do Not Wait to Honor and Learn from Those Who Have Experience.  Then, in Turn, Pass it To Others Because....

"When an Elder Dies, a Library Burns to the Ground"  (Old African Saying)

Reply
post #50312 of 51628

:hit

I can't believe it!  I just went out to do an egg check. I noticed a hawk take to the air as I was walking out & found my poor Spitzie ripped to pieces.  It was a gigantic bird - like a red-tailed hawk - so I doubt there was much the roosters could do.  

 

I'm so very sad & in shock.  She was one of my fastest chickens, in good health, with great reflexes.  Also, she was white to blend in with the snow.  I know this is just nature & to be expected, but it doesn't help my feelings at the moment.  After 2 failed hatches from 2 diff breeders (shipped eggs), I finally got eggs in February via a friend who drove by an Appenzeller Spitzhauben breeder on vacation.  I was so excited to have all 6 hatch & after much deliberation, we decided to keep our sweet Spitzie as the new fancy, member of our flock.  She was a gentle, quiet, easy-going girl who always loved to pose for the camera. (We have more pics of this pullet during her short life than any hen or rooster we've ever owned.)

 

RIP my dear Spitzie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

c

 

 

 

 

While writing this, the kids came home from school. As you can probably tell, Spitzie was a favorite.  Lots of tears today.

Faraday40

Mom, wife, science teacher, artist, & animal lover

Reply

Faraday40

Mom, wife, science teacher, artist, & animal lover

Reply
post #50313 of 51628

@Faraday40

 

Just curious... is the nipple bucket the only water source you use? 

 

I've used the nipple bucket in the winter and otherwise before but I just felt like they weren't getting enough water.  I guess I kind-of tend toward the traditional "pool" that they'd use if they were drinking naturally.

 

I had some nipple cups that I really liked because they were a great combo of the 2.  But never worked for winter as they'd freeze.

 

 

 

 

 

Strangely enough, my birds absolutely LOVE these little cup waterers (lubbing cups NOT dineachick)  They fill with water and the float valve shuts them off.  I've considered trying to use them in winter with an in-bucket heater and a low-watt light aimed at the cups to keep the cups from freezing.  But have never tried it.

 

Do Not Wait to Honor and Learn from Those Who Have Experience.  Then, in Turn, Pass it To Others Because....

"When an Elder Dies, a Library Burns to the Ground"  (Old African Saying)

Reply

Do Not Wait to Honor and Learn from Those Who Have Experience.  Then, in Turn, Pass it To Others Because....

"When an Elder Dies, a Library Burns to the Ground"  (Old African Saying)

Reply
post #50314 of 51628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraday40 View Post
 

:hit

I can't believe it!  I just went out to do an egg check. I noticed a hawk take to the air as I was walking out & found my poor Spitzie ripped to pieces.  It was a gigantic bird - like a red-tailed hawk - so I doubt there was much the roosters could do.  

 

 

 

RIP my dear Spitzie.

 

 

 

While writing this, the kids came home from school. As you can probably tell, Spitzie was a favorite.  Lots of tears today.

@Faraday40

 

Sigh.  So sorry to hear that.

 

I also lost one 2 weeks ago very similar situation.  I was probably just minutes short of preempting it.  First bird I've lost to an attack since 2013.


Edited by Leahs Mom - 12/15/16 at 2:35pm

Do Not Wait to Honor and Learn from Those Who Have Experience.  Then, in Turn, Pass it To Others Because....

"When an Elder Dies, a Library Burns to the Ground"  (Old African Saying)

Reply

Do Not Wait to Honor and Learn from Those Who Have Experience.  Then, in Turn, Pass it To Others Because....

"When an Elder Dies, a Library Burns to the Ground"  (Old African Saying)

Reply
post #50315 of 51628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahs Mom View Post
 

@Faraday40

 

Just curious... is the nipple bucket the only water source you use? 

 

I've used the nipple bucket in the winter and otherwise before but I just felt like they weren't getting enough water.  I guess I kind-of tend toward the traditional "pool" that they'd use if they were drinking naturally.

 

I had some nipple cups that I really liked because they were a great combo of the 2.  But never worked for winter as they'd freeze.

 

 

 

 

 

Strangely enough, my birds absolutely LOVE these little cup waterers (lubbing cups NOT dineachick)  They fill with water and the float valve shuts them off.  I've considered trying to use them in winter with an in-bucket heater and a low-watt light aimed at the cups to keep the cups from freezing.  But have never tried it.

 

When offered other water sources, the chickens prefer a traditional fountain drinker.  I only use those outside when day temps are above freezing.  The horiz nipple bucket waterer is the only source of water in temps like these.  I see them drink from it with far less waste & drippage, so it keep ice out of the run.

Faraday40

Mom, wife, science teacher, artist, & animal lover

Reply

Faraday40

Mom, wife, science teacher, artist, & animal lover

Reply
post #50316 of 51628

So do you switch them over to the nipple bucket "cold turkey" when it gets cold....  or do you always have it out normally and just remove the other sources when it's cold.

Do Not Wait to Honor and Learn from Those Who Have Experience.  Then, in Turn, Pass it To Others Because....

"When an Elder Dies, a Library Burns to the Ground"  (Old African Saying)

Reply

Do Not Wait to Honor and Learn from Those Who Have Experience.  Then, in Turn, Pass it To Others Because....

"When an Elder Dies, a Library Burns to the Ground"  (Old African Saying)

Reply
post #50317 of 51628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahs Mom View Post
 

Sigh.  So sorry to hear that.

 

I also lost one 2 weeks ago very similar situation.  I was probably just minutes short of preempting it.  First bird I've lost to an attack since 2013.

We lost a pullet to a hawk in Nov 2014.  Also lost 2 chicks this summer -probably also to a hawk, because no remains were ever found.  Just went missing.  This is harder b/c Spitzie was part of the flock & family.  DD trained her to fly up onto an outstretched arm when called.

Faraday40

Mom, wife, science teacher, artist, & animal lover

Reply

Faraday40

Mom, wife, science teacher, artist, & animal lover

Reply
post #50318 of 51628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahs Mom View Post
 

So do you switch them over to the nipple bucket "cold turkey" when it gets cold....  or do you always have it out normally and just remove the other sources when it's cold.

The 2nd.  I see them use the nipple drinker all year, but when the fountain drinker gets flipped over in the morning, they must all sample it.  That's why I feel they prefer it.  I never had a chicken refuse to drink from either type of waterer.

Faraday40

Mom, wife, science teacher, artist, & animal lover

Reply

Faraday40

Mom, wife, science teacher, artist, & animal lover

Reply
post #50319 of 51628
Oh so sorry faraday for the loss of spitzie. sad.png
post #50320 of 51628
I'm sorry about Spitzie too. sad.png

When I saw the tears at the top of your post, my first thought was "Not Spitzie!" And then I had to scan fast, and then I was very sad. I'm so sorry for your children, especially. hugs.gif
Edited by Finnie - 12/15/16 at 6:19pm
Chicken math:  "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it!" + "If you go looking for trouble you will find it." =  "I got up here, now how do I get down?"
Reply
Chicken math:  "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it!" + "If you go looking for trouble you will find it." =  "I got up here, now how do I get down?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Where am I? Where are you!
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!