Day 5 of Getting the Flock Out Of Here, Part 7
I decide to add some white layers to our flock
With requests for Polish, they were an easy choice.
We also added Brown Leghorns, Red Leghorns and White Leghorns.
On day 5 candling 79% are viable. The browns, whites and Polish all came fom same supplier.
The whites took some damage coming in with 4 broken eggs. The viability was 8/20.
The others 24/24 and 22/24 viable.
The gifted Red Leghorns were 4/6
Sally, Pigs and HFRs chicken eggs get their candling on day 7. We will cull non viable whites then.
I posted an advert on a agricultural forum last week and have a buyer order 12 BBS Orp chicks. We have had 14 hatch in the last 8 days. I found out the cost of sending 1 "rooster box" airport to airport freight is $11. The buyer will travel 6 hrs by car to Manila Airport to meet his chicks at the plane.
Our local hatches remain excellent at 80+%. 25 chicks hatched overnight with 100 due in the next 12 days.
When I was checking on the birds I noticed that the three Buff Orps hens were in fact 1 BO hen and 2 BO ROOS. It seems there was a clerical error lol.
Please remove any spells or prayers for a high roo count in Pigletts eggs. I removed the Barred Rock Roo. Hopefully he was least active. Its amazing that 3 roos did not kill each other or strip every feather of the poor girl's back. She has 16 eggs cooking.
Kev's naked neck is in with the Rhode Island Reds and our first "Cobra" as they are locally called have hatched.
The fence is just 2 weeks from completion (well the East side). As soon as its stuccoed the guys will move onto the piggery. They gilts are growing out of their pens and hopefully in a month will be ready to move into their new digs. This will give us three small breeding coops.
We planted 4 Southern Live Oak seedlings along with 6 Australian Beach Cherry, 2 Loquat, 2 Bay Leaf (Laurel), Cuban Oregeno, 4 Muscadine Grape and Tahitian Gardenia seedlings in 8" pots the nursery.
Seeds for Kaffir Plum, Indian Jujube, Prickly Pear, Dwarf Papaya, 3 types of Passionfrui and Camphor have been planted.
Calla, Canna, Dhalia and Hawaiian Ginger bulbs went into pots to get started and then replanted at the start of the wet season in June.
Our Ipil-Ipil and Malunggay seedings are over 15" tall and will also be re-planted in June for best survivability. The dry season is now well entrenched. The grass is brown. Planting anything in the ground will require loads of water. We will only plant vegetables in the garden for now.
We have half a cubic yard of composted sawdust and rotted wood. We are starting to compost another cubic yard of sawdust to build up our soil.
6 foot rows of swiss chard, kale and mustard greens go in to a head to head trial as new greens. They will compete with choy sum, a chinese green. Planting will be tomorrow.
A doz tomato varieties will also go into planters along with Anaheim and yellow peppers.
Its all systems go.