Finally we found a couple of guys to finish the pig pens. The concrete started on Saturday. A huge relief. Within two week the girls will have their new spacious home. The boar is back to full strength but we commited to AI by giving all three gilts a dose of PG600 on the same day. They all went into estrus three days later. I am going to use three different breed boars. Duroc, Pietrans and Large White. If we have successful "hatches" I will keep three large white gilts and one each of the Duroc and Pietrans crosses. The large whites will become "production" sows while the crossed gilts will get crossed again to make a couple of nice hybrid boars. We will keep the boar for now.
Apart from the quail, I will probably not persue the chukar for much longer. Primarily, I really dont like caging birds in small cages and I really dont want to invest more money in these birds at the moment and I need every coop I have. We will see how it plays out for now. It saddens me to see them in cages so the Chukar may go in with the quail in a coop for now.
Chickens, turkeys, guineas and ducks are plenty. Peafowl are still on the cards as decorations. When we started all this, it was like throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks. Small birds arent sticking. I will re-evaluate pheasants next year but no eggs will be in the golf bag this season.
I am going to spend a lot of time with the birds next trip. I will be sorting hundreds of partially feathered birds to assess breeds. We need to decide where we want to go and how we are going to get there.
School starts when I get there. The working student program is back under evaluation as Dominic and Ibo settle down and some normality is being felt.It would be great to have someone who can communicate directly with me so I dont have to rely on my wife being around there all the time. The kids will also be back in school.
The list of things to do there is forever expanding. I cant wait to get stuck into it.
The adventure continues.