Originally Posted by missnu01
So I call and send the bodies to those places? Neither is dead, or sickly seeming...they just can't move right...but they are breaking my heart...not so much the one that was doing better but the one that more recently started having issues...it really can't get around very well at all.
I am more worried about trying to get new chicks...if all new chicks are vaccinated then everything should be alright, right?
I'm not sure I have the heart to kill baby chickens...but I also don't have the heart to watch something suffer...
and can you get a necropsy on a chicken you killed, or do I have to wait for one of them to die...?
Is this something that chickens recover from? So perhaps I should just leave these 2 to either make it or not...or should I go ahead and cull them since they obviously are having some issues?
It's not easy, makin' these choices, but I agree w/ both casportpony's suggestion for necropy, and your initial conclusion that it's for the best. So much so, in fact, that I'd already tracked down your first post, and found the options she'd provided (woulda spared me some time, had I simply scrolled down the page first ~'-)
To make this decision easier? Try 'n set what your heart says aside, and think logically of the overall welfare of your entire flock first, and of their own chances to be productive members, as their own happiness truly depends upon that.
Rather than culling first, should you choose this route, they do accept live birds, and up to eight for the same minimal fee, but I think they will probably charge a disposal fee as well ... easily worth the price paid, both by you and these two chicks, as it serves best to protect the flock.
I hate seein' folks go through this sorta thing, and was hopin' they'd get better, but knowin' why this has happened may prove tremendously important, and you're in an exceptionally good state for gettin' the best answers.