BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › The Duck Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Duck Thread - Page 1130

post #11291 of 17234
Our duck's have a visitor for a bit. Our marshmallow either got prcjed by one of the hen's or the cockeral trying to mount her. Her neck is a little tore up. She's doing so much better out here with the duck's. in this photo Loraine & marshmallow are bonding.

When Lauren is like "what are you looking at"

Then i see Julie making her appearance.
Our family loves living in the wild,wild west
Clair,Cheryl, Molly, ..and then there are the duck's wee.gif
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1009534/byc-member-interview-city-farm/0_30
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/902913/what-would-we-do-without frow.gif
JUDE 24-25 KJV
Reply
Our family loves living in the wild,wild west
Clair,Cheryl, Molly, ..and then there are the duck's wee.gif
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1009534/byc-member-interview-city-farm/0_30
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/902913/what-would-we-do-without frow.gif
JUDE 24-25 KJV
Reply
post #11292 of 17234

I can't remember if I posted these up or not. Our Muscovy's love to roost. when people walk by the front they don't know what to think. Are they fake or real?
Our family loves living in the wild,wild west
Clair,Cheryl, Molly, ..and then there are the duck's wee.gif
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1009534/byc-member-interview-city-farm/0_30
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/902913/what-would-we-do-without frow.gif
JUDE 24-25 KJV
Reply
Our family loves living in the wild,wild west
Clair,Cheryl, Molly, ..and then there are the duck's wee.gif
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1009534/byc-member-interview-city-farm/0_30
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/902913/what-would-we-do-without frow.gif
JUDE 24-25 KJV
Reply
post #11293 of 17234
Okay one more thing, we got to have this girl for just a little bit. She was injured. She is a gilded flicker woodpecker. We took her to a locsl sanctuary and her hip was messed up



Our family loves living in the wild,wild west
Clair,Cheryl, Molly, ..and then there are the duck's wee.gif
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1009534/byc-member-interview-city-farm/0_30
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/902913/what-would-we-do-without frow.gif
JUDE 24-25 KJV
Reply
Our family loves living in the wild,wild west
Clair,Cheryl, Molly, ..and then there are the duck's wee.gif
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1009534/byc-member-interview-city-farm/0_30
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/902913/what-would-we-do-without frow.gif
JUDE 24-25 KJV
Reply
post #11294 of 17234
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlessjunk View Post

Do y'all have shadow cat or any programs like it? Here you can trap strays and take them to the shelter to be fixed and then release them back to the neighborhood.

I've never actually heard of that before. I should probably look into that. I have to do it discreetly when I take the strays that I can catch to the shelter. Some people around here think because they set out cheap cat food in a tin bowl that the cats are "theirs". They would get mad if they knew. But they don't ever handle them or love them or take them to the vet or ID them. And they just breed out of control, and these so called "owners" just let them. They never bring them inside during the cold or get them vet care. If a cat has no ID and is not on its owner's property, it is a stray, plain and simple.

Here is the last cat I took in to the rescue. The sweetest thing, just came running up to me meowing while i was feeding the ducks. I brought him in my back porch and fed and watered him and he rubbed all over me. He was covered in fleas, and wounds from cat fighting. To me, if you let an animal run around like this, you are NOT its owner. WARNING: GRAPHIC PICTURES BELOW:







Sorry. I get a little heated about this subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bird View Post

You're so welcome. I hope you can, too. It's such a treat to see a bird you've never seen before. Or birds i love like quail.

My mom always put out feeders and I loved seeing all the types of birds. And became familiar with identifying many species. I miss it.
Edited by PotatoWaffles - 12/6/15 at 12:14pm
So this is where my John Hancock goes? Oh wait, John Hancock? Pffft...it's Herbie Hancock ;]
Reply
So this is where my John Hancock goes? Oh wait, John Hancock? Pffft...it's Herbie Hancock ;]
Reply
post #11295 of 17234

@Amiga did I read once that you supplemented with a liquid calcium?  I've got a Pekin girl who continually lays soft shells.  They all have free choice oyster shells.  Today I noticed her staying away from the flock.  She seems to be our drakes favorite and runs from him constantly.  I could tell she wasn't feeling well so I took her some meal worms.  She ate some of them.  A little later I saw her doing what looked like walking in place.  When I went to get her to put her up for the night, she was sitting on a small, very soft, completely white and jelly like egg.  She seemed better but still not herself.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1140218/byc-member-interview-ren2014/0_30

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/building-our-duck-pond

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feathers-and-two-feet

 

Nothing is trivial.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave is only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." 

Where will you spend eternity?

 

Barre...

caf.gif

Reply

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1140218/byc-member-interview-ren2014/0_30

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/building-our-duck-pond

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feathers-and-two-feet

 

Nothing is trivial.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave is only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." 

Where will you spend eternity?

 

Barre...

caf.gif

Reply
post #11296 of 17234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren2014 View Post
 

@Amiga did I read once that you supplemented with a liquid calcium?  I've got a Pekin girl who continually lays soft shells.  They all have free choice oyster shells.  Today I noticed her staying away from the flock.  She seems to be our drakes favorite and runs from him constantly.  I could tell she wasn't feeling well so I took her some meal worms.  She ate some of them.  A little later I saw her doing what looked like walking in place.  When I went to get her to put her up for the night, she was sitting on a small, very soft, completely white and jelly like egg.  She seemed better but still not herself.

@Ren2014  I would get her away from the drake for a while.  Sometimes soft shells are from overmating.

 

I did use calcium gluconate 23% solution for a while - that did help.  I put three tablespoons in their feed daily for the flock of ten.

 

In addition, I found it was less expensive to use calcium citrate tablets - I dissolve them in hot water (or you can crush them, but be careful - it can be a pain in the neck if you don't have a good pill crusher, and if you decide to use something sharp, please be careful!).  I would use sometimes 200 mg of calcium citrate mixed into a few tablespoons of thawed frozen peas - mash up a few of the peas so they soak up the calcium solution - and feed that once at night to Romy, who had a bout of soft egg laying.  We keep her away from the drake anyway (long story) so it was not the mating.  She just had trouble for a while with making shells.  

 

For the flock, I would put calcium citrate at about 80 mg per duck per day if we were having a few soft eggs each day - and that did happen some last year.

 

I cannot be 100% sure, but I think now that I have them on a combination of Countryside Organic layer no corn, no soy, and Mazuri waterfowl breeder, things look better.

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply

Please PM me, or use @Amiga in the message if you would like to hear from me soon.  

Reply
post #11297 of 17234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga View Post
 

@Ren2014  I would get her away from the drake for a while.  Sometimes soft shells are from overmating.

 

I did use calcium gluconate 23% solution for a while - that did help.  I put three tablespoons in their feed daily for the flock of ten.

 

In addition, I found it was less expensive to use calcium citrate tablets - I dissolve them in hot water (or you can crush them, but be careful - it can be a pain in the neck if you don't have a good pill crusher, and if you decide to use something sharp, please be careful!).  I would use sometimes 200 mg of calcium citrate mixed into a few tablespoons of thawed frozen peas - mash up a few of the peas so they soak up the calcium solution - and feed that once at night to Romy, who had a bout of soft egg laying.  We keep her away from the drake anyway (long story) so it was not the mating.  She just had trouble for a while with making shells.  

 

For the flock, I would put calcium citrate at about 80 mg per duck per day if we were having a few soft eggs each day - and that did happen some last year.

 

I cannot be 100% sure, but I think now that I have them on a combination of Countryside Organic layer no corn, no soy, and Mazuri waterfowl breeder, things look better.


OMG, I should have thought to get him away from her.  I will separate them immediately.  Thanks for all of the help with the Calcium.  I will get started on that tomorrow after a trip to Walgreens:)

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1140218/byc-member-interview-ren2014/0_30

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/building-our-duck-pond

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feathers-and-two-feet

 

Nothing is trivial.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave is only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." 

Where will you spend eternity?

 

Barre...

caf.gif

Reply

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1140218/byc-member-interview-ren2014/0_30

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/building-our-duck-pond

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feathers-and-two-feet

 

Nothing is trivial.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave is only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." 

Where will you spend eternity?

 

Barre...

caf.gif

Reply
post #11298 of 17234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren2014 View Post
 


OMG, I should have thought to get him away from her.  I will separate them immediately.  Thanks for all of the help with the Calcium.  I will get started on that tomorrow after a trip to Walgreens:)

TSC carries Cal Glu. too

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply
post #11299 of 17234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga View Post
 

@Ren2014  I would get her away from the drake for a while.  Sometimes soft shells are from overmating.

 

I did use calcium gluconate 23% solution for a while - that did help.  I put three tablespoons in their feed daily for the flock of ten.

 

In addition, I found it was less expensive to use calcium citrate tablets - I dissolve them in hot water (or you can crush them, but be careful - it can be a pain in the neck if you don't have a good pill crusher, and if you decide to use something sharp, please be careful!).  I would use sometimes 200 mg of calcium citrate mixed into a few tablespoons of thawed frozen peas - mash up a few of the peas so they soak up the calcium solution - and feed that once at night to Romy, who had a bout of soft egg laying.  We keep her away from the drake anyway (long story) so it was not the mating.  She just had trouble for a while with making shells.  

 

For the flock, I would put calcium citrate at about 80 mg per duck per day if we were having a few soft eggs each day - and that did happen some last year.

 

I cannot be 100% sure, but I think now that I have them on a combination of Countryside Organic layer no corn, no soy, and Mazuri waterfowl breeder, things look better.

One of the most important "tools" in any home, I have found, is a mortar and pestle. If you don't have one, get one. They are cheap and make pill crushing a breeze.

Living where the Central Plains and the Texas Hill Country meet  with 19 chickens, 5 bantams, 15 new chicks, 22 ducks, 11 geese, 7 dogs. Thirteen miles from nowhere and a short drive to anywhere. What more could I want!!!!!
Reply
Living where the Central Plains and the Texas Hill Country meet  with 19 chickens, 5 bantams, 15 new chicks, 22 ducks, 11 geese, 7 dogs. Thirteen miles from nowhere and a short drive to anywhere. What more could I want!!!!!
Reply
post #11300 of 17234
@Julie Bird Io is a happy duck... moved them all in together permanently and they are doing great...



Frawg Muse
Reply
Frawg Muse
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › The Duck Thread