Hi all. I'm hatching my first chicks right now (on day 6, hatch date 2/13), but I'm letting my broody hen do all the work. We tried two weeks ago, because she's determined to be broody. We didn't have any luck with those, probably because my roo is very young and tho he tries, bless his soul, he just doesn't get the job done.
So I got eggs from a local chicken-lady and now Snowflake is on 5 silkie and 3 marans eggs. Should be interesting. I candled last night and saw good development in at least 3 silkies and 2 marans. I left all the eggs and will check back in a few days to see. Does that sound ok, or should I take out the apparent nonstarters now?
Also, I'm sure you all know it's winter! lol. So I'm trying to decide if, when the chicks are born, should I move her and the babies into our laundry room into a doberman kennel? Or should I just leave them be? Our temps are 20-30s at night and 50-70 during the day. (We live in the high desert). Right now she's in an external nest box that's 18x10 with a small waterer and food. I keep the small, circular door shut with poultry mesh except a short time each day I open it in case she wants to get out for a few.
Would love any advice.