BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock - Page 253

post #2521 of 3562

Goldy, to start off, read Nambroth's big FAQ , the link is down in my signature.

 

If your flock had been vaccinated, I think that I would be looking for other possibilities.  Not to say it's not Marek's, but seems like any info on Marek's is either "unlikely" highly unlikely, or "highly likely", there are no definite answers.

RUNS WITH CHICKENS               

 

            Marek's FAQ  Nambroth's really BIG one!

 

            How to send a bird for a necropsy    by Casportpony

         

                          

                    

        

                                            

Reply

RUNS WITH CHICKENS               

 

            Marek's FAQ  Nambroth's really BIG one!

 

            How to send a bird for a necropsy    by Casportpony

         

                          

                    

        

                                            

Reply
post #2522 of 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolewind View Post
 

Goldy, to start off, read Nambroth's big FAQ , the link is down in my signature.

 

If your flock had been vaccinated, I think that I would be looking for other possibilities.  Not to say it's not Marek's, but seems like any info on Marek's is either "unlikely" highly unlikely, or "highly likely", there are no definite answers.

Okay, thanks 

post #2523 of 3562

I would always suggest Nambroth's Big Marek's FAQ because she has all the info there that we all have.  But all in one nice convenient spot.  The only thing more than the info there is when you get into lymphocytes and immune suppression, and what the virus does on a cellular level. 

 

I hope your chickens do not have Marek's.  It would be nice if they had something curable. 

RUNS WITH CHICKENS               

 

            Marek's FAQ  Nambroth's really BIG one!

 

            How to send a bird for a necropsy    by Casportpony

         

                          

                    

        

                                            

Reply

RUNS WITH CHICKENS               

 

            Marek's FAQ  Nambroth's really BIG one!

 

            How to send a bird for a necropsy    by Casportpony

         

                          

                    

        

                                            

Reply
post #2524 of 3562

There have been no signs since October, I just watch the flock but, in Colorado there is FROSTBITE that is seen and curable 

post #2525 of 3562

My limping pullet turned 6 months old and is still living in the house.  She gets better, and then worse, and is now getting better again.  I think she has something wrong with her like internal organ failure.  She is passing undigested food, which is very concerning.  I have been tubing her with water and ground up flock raiser to supplement what she eats.  Since it has been two month, I doubt Marek's.

 

On another note, I now have a 13 week old pullet that is also limping on the right leg.  She eats only at night and does not interact with the other pullets.  Now she is  living in the house too so I can monitor her leg and food intake.  If one of these birds passes on I'll be sure to send it in for necropsy.  So far they both seem to be in good spirits and are maintaining their weights.  

post #2526 of 3562

How sad!  I hope it's not Marek's.  Did you try vitamins?

 

I'm having a sad day too.  One of my 7 year old Polish - I just picked her up to hold her and noticed she has a cloudy eye.  :hit

RUNS WITH CHICKENS               

 

            Marek's FAQ  Nambroth's really BIG one!

 

            How to send a bird for a necropsy    by Casportpony

         

                          

                    

        

                                            

Reply

RUNS WITH CHICKENS               

 

            Marek's FAQ  Nambroth's really BIG one!

 

            How to send a bird for a necropsy    by Casportpony

         

                          

                    

        

                                            

Reply
post #2527 of 3562

OH, sad news!

 

 I've tried vitamins, tube feeding, etc.  Nothing seems to work.  Now she is passing undigested food.  I'm suspecting liver failure or something similar.  I'll keep trying but I'm starting to lose hope.

 

Edited to add:  I now suspect she has Colstridium perfringens.  She has been treated for coccidia and worms with Wazine, and now she is getting tylan injections along with metronidazole for the Clostridium.  Not sure if it will help but this is kind of her last resort.  Poor girl has been sick for so long.  


Edited by ochochicas - 2/8/15 at 6:59pm
post #2528 of 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolewind View Post
 

How sad!  I hope it's not Marek's.  Did you try vitamins?

 

I'm having a sad day too.  One of my 7 year old Polish - I just picked her up to hold her and noticed she has a cloudy eye.  :hit

Oh Karen...how much heartache can a person take..?

 

Maybe..just maybe ..this is not related to your fears of Marek's...she may have a cataract....she has had a great and long life with you...I hope and pray that she will continue to live a healthy life in your safe and so very capable arms...

A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future and accepts you today the way you are.

 

"Maman" ( my Avatar ) RIP my beloved died 8th February 2014...my heart is broken

Reply

A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future and accepts you today the way you are.

 

"Maman" ( my Avatar ) RIP my beloved died 8th February 2014...my heart is broken

Reply
post #2529 of 3562

I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone's hens .

 

Seminolewind,  don't forget that I have that black astrolorp with a grey eye.  Her sibling had the same, I sent her in for that necropsy a couple of months ago and the vet said it wasn't mareks.  So the suriving BA is doing fine - whatever is going on with her eye.  She is lightweight, but her comb is pinking up a bit.   I'll hope the same for your polish hen.

 

I  started feeding tumeric.  It seems a bit expensive online, but I found in Indian grocery stores you can get it for cheaper.  Right now I'm finding it for $13 for a 3 lb bag.  Only trouble is, it stains like the dickens.  When I forget to wear gloves, my fingernails turn yellow and look disgusting.  The flock doesn't seem to mind it - they will prefer the food that isn't dosed with the tumeric but will eat and finish up the tumeric food.  I am experimenting with the amount and still researching to try to find more about what the critical point is (how much tumeric do you need to make a difference?)

Today's Forecast:  Happy, with a chance of amazing
Reply
Today's Forecast:  Happy, with a chance of amazing
Reply
post #2530 of 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ochochicas View Post
 

OH, sad news!

 

 I've tried vitamins, tube feeding, etc.  Nothing seems to work.  Now she is passing undigested food.  I'm suspecting liver failure or something similar.  I'll keep trying but I'm starting to lose hope.

 

Edited to add:  I now suspect she has Colstridium perfringens.  She has been treated for coccidia and worms with Wazine, and now she is getting tylan injections along with metronidazole for the Clostridium.  Not sure if it will help but this is kind of her last resort.  Poor girl has been sick for so long.  


Good idea.  Did you treat for coccidia already?  I hope the antibiotics work, it would be great news.  :fl

RUNS WITH CHICKENS               

 

            Marek's FAQ  Nambroth's really BIG one!

 

            How to send a bird for a necropsy    by Casportpony

         

                          

                    

        

                                            

Reply

RUNS WITH CHICKENS               

 

            Marek's FAQ  Nambroth's really BIG one!

 

            How to send a bird for a necropsy    by Casportpony

         

                          

                    

        

                                            

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock