New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nesting Boxes inside or outside?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

We are getting ready to build our hen house. We are building it Shed style so if we ever stop raising chickens it can be used as a shed. With that in mind we have a choice to walk into the hen house each day to gather eggs from their nesting boxes or have the nesting boxes outside the hen house.

What are some of the benefits of both?

post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGerres View Post

We are getting ready to build our hen house. We are building it Shed style so if we ever stop raising chickens it can be used as a shed. With that in mind we have a choice to walk into the hen house each day to gather eggs from their nesting boxes or have the nesting boxes outside the hen house.

What are some of the benefits of both?

 

The original plan was to have the nest boxes inside but decided to have them on the outside of the coop. Took up too much room. I like going in and gathering the eggs. The nest boxes could one day be storage areas and the coop could be a shed or playhouse if we ever were to sell.

 

1000

 

1000

post #3 of 21
Mine are inside, because I need to look/get into my coop daily. However I do have one outside because I have game.birds and I've noticed they like to lay.on the ground.
post #4 of 21

My boxes are outside but I mostly collect the eggs from the inside. 

 

Advantages:   Big space savers!!!  Ease of collection! 

Disadvantages:  Need reasonable carpentry skills to  build and install well (I insulate the box walls and roof and seal well)

 

Inside box advantages:  Economical.  Fast and relatively easy to make anything into a nest box.  Multiple rows of boxes possible for large flocks.  Moveable.

 

Outside

 

Inside

 


Edited by 4 the Birds - 2/26/13 at 5:22am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Hen Chris View Post

 

The original plan was to have the nest boxes inside but decided to have them on the outside of the coop. Took up too much room. I like going in and gathering the eggs. The nest boxes could one day be storage areas and the coop could be a shed or playhouse if we ever were to sell.

 

1000

 

1000

Whoa-nice set up!  My girls are so jealous! lol

Enjoy the simple things in life, which are often free. There will always be crowds of other people spending money they don't have on things they can't afford in pursuit of happiness that continues to elude them.
Reply
Enjoy the simple things in life, which are often free. There will always be crowds of other people spending money they don't have on things they can't afford in pursuit of happiness that continues to elude them.
Reply
post #6 of 21

Mine are on the outside.  It is very easy to collect the eggs and to clean the boxes, change straw etc., the girls cannot roost on the top of the boxes and it saves a lot of room in the coop. 

Enjoy the simple things in life, which are often free. There will always be crowds of other people spending money they don't have on things they can't afford in pursuit of happiness that continues to elude them.
Reply
Enjoy the simple things in life, which are often free. There will always be crowds of other people spending money they don't have on things they can't afford in pursuit of happiness that continues to elude them.
Reply
post #7 of 21
There is another option... My nests are inside, on a 20" high shelf to preserve floor space, and I have an access door in the coop wall so eggs may be collected from outside. It's big enough that I can pull the nest boxes out for cleaning (they're plastic storage bins). One benefit of outside access is that it's a lot easier to get folks to collect eggs for me when I go on vacation if they don't need to go inside the coop to do so.
Edited by debid - 2/26/13 at 7:25am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by showbarnmom View Post

Mine are inside, because I need to look/get into my coop daily. However I do have one outside because I have game.birds and I've noticed they like to lay.on the ground.

Same here. Mine are inside because it is mandatory that I look in my chicken house every single day. Some people like outside nesting boxes and like to collect the eggs from the outside but that is not acceptable for me. I have too many chickens and I have to physically go inside the chicken house to collect the eggs and to see what's going on in there. Every year I find a snake in the nesting boxes, so I have to do daily checks. There is also a possibility that a chicken may be sick or injured and may have gone into the chicken house to hide or snuggle in a corner. I would never know that if I don't go in and look. If that were ever to happen, a chicken could possibly die because I failed to check inside. With 100+ chickens and 300+ animals, it's almost impossible to do a daily head count. I could do that if I had 20 or less chickens but I don't. So my nesting boxes are inside for that reason.
NPIP Certified -115 Chickens, 19 Geese, 19 BR Turkeys, 7 Rabbits, 120 Muscovy Ducks , 9 Guineas, 9 Peafowl, 8 sheep, 1 Goat and currently have 100 broilers to be processed March 2014.  And it's broody/hatching season all over again for 2014.
Reply
NPIP Certified -115 Chickens, 19 Geese, 19 BR Turkeys, 7 Rabbits, 120 Muscovy Ducks , 9 Guineas, 9 Peafowl, 8 sheep, 1 Goat and currently have 100 broilers to be processed March 2014.  And it's broody/hatching season all over again for 2014.
Reply
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by debid View Post

There is another option... My nests are inside, on a 20" high shelf to preserve floor space, and I have an access door in the coop wall so eggs may be collected from outside. It's big enough that I can pull the nest boxes out for cleaning (they're plastic storage bins). One benefit of outside access is that it's a lot easier to get folks to collect eggs for me when I go on vacation if they don't need to go inside the coop to do so.

That is a benefit I had not thought of.  My DIL has offered to watch the chickens when are away, but she is scared to death of going in the coop. She can feed, water and collect eggs without going inside.

Enjoy the simple things in life, which are often free. There will always be crowds of other people spending money they don't have on things they can't afford in pursuit of happiness that continues to elude them.
Reply
Enjoy the simple things in life, which are often free. There will always be crowds of other people spending money they don't have on things they can't afford in pursuit of happiness that continues to elude them.
Reply
post #10 of 21

we will be building our coop in a couple of weeks. we will have ours inside but with an access door from outside so we can gather the eggs without having to go inside. We will only have about 9 -11 hens at any given time so doing a head count while they are outside will be pretty easy.

4 Barnevelders, 4 Silkies, 3 Ameraucana, 2 Showgirls, 2 Buff Orpington, 1 Black Jersey Giant, 1 Unknown (formerly a silkie), 1 parakeet, 1 dog, 1 cat, and 2 bunnies.

Reply

4 Barnevelders, 4 Silkies, 3 Ameraucana, 2 Showgirls, 2 Buff Orpington, 1 Black Jersey Giant, 1 Unknown (formerly a silkie), 1 parakeet, 1 dog, 1 cat, and 2 bunnies.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: