BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › My Mallard Ate my Earring!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Mallard Ate my Earring!

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Oh no, my 8-week old mallard ate my earring (it was a small 14k, diamond stud earring). Does anyone know if it will pass through her?  I'm afraid it will get stuck or make her sick. Any advice as to what to do? 

post #2 of 7

It will probably be fine. However, if she starts showing symptoms that she may not be okay, you may wwant to bring him to a vet. In the meantime, feeding her some brad with mineral oil on it may help.

2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Stars

 

~~Chicken Behavior Article~~

Reply

2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Stars

 

~~Chicken Behavior Article~~

Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

Thanks! I will keep a close eye on what is now the world's most expensive wild duck! (sigh) 

post #4 of 7
Ducks can get Hardware Disease from eating metal objects... not sure where gold falls on the toxicity scale, but you might want to research it. Some metals are worse than others. It might pass through their system, so I'd confine the duck and check the droppings. You might get it back! Be sure and pick it up if you see it, though, as they will likely ingest it again. They like shiny things. LOL. If you don't see it in a day or so you might want to consider having the duck xrayed... that way you can see exactly where it is in their system. Hope they are OK...
post #5 of 7
Hardware disease does not result from the toxicity of the metal....it results from the metal piercing the lining of the digestive tract and either causing internalo bleeding....or impeding the flow of the digestive tract. with an earriing....I would be concerned about hardware disease.....an x-ray would be a possibility if the bird starts to act lethargic.

Clint
post #6 of 7
I don't mean to disagree, but my understanding is that the toxicity of the metal is a primary cause of death...

"Ducks and geese are attracted to shiny things like pennies, screws, nails, staples, coins of any type and other metal objects. They will swallow them. This is extremely dangerous and most often fatal. As it is digested, the metal (and coating on various metals) poisons the bird, harming the kidneys and liver. It can take days and even weeks for any symptoms to become apparent, at which point it is often too late. Early symptoms of hardware disease include a bird that keeps to itself, away from others and eats less. Fecal matter can be flourescent green (though this can also be a sign of other infection). Eventually the bird cannot walk, or walks and falls down. If these symptoms occur, the bird must go to a vet immediately. It must have a xray to see if any foreign objects have be eaten. There is medication that is given to try to get rid of the poisons in the bird, but most often they need to have surgery to remove the objects. If you even suspect your pet has swallowed metal, an immediate xray may be your only chance for saving him or her." (duckrescuenetwork.org)

I think hardware disease in ducks is different than the bovine definition?
Edited by CaptainQwak - 6/29/13 at 6:14pm
post #7 of 7
There is a difference between metal toxicity and hardware disease... a duck eats a lead pellet....the lead interfers with metabolic processes (particularly smooth muscle function and hemoglobin production).....but a nail may puncture the esophageal, gizzard, or intestinal lining....leading to internal bleeding, septicemia, or failure of gatric tract mobility....different diseases....bu5t poor outcomes....and different therapuetic responses.

Clint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › My Mallard Ate my Earring!