BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Miscellaneous › Other Pets & Livestock › Lets talk about goats!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets talk about goats! - Page 276

post #2751 of 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfreak101 View Post

one am feeding are kicking my rear I am hoping I can stop feeding at night soon.
I wouldn't feed at night. Give the last bottle before you go to bed, and give their first bottle as soon as you get up. I usually did a 10 or 11pm bottle and then start at 6 am. I would also say increase the bottles to 6 to 8 ounces if they will take it.
post #2752 of 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfreak101 View Post

one am feeding are kicking my rear I am hoping I can stop feeding at night soon.

Ahh okay
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 5 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock (May), 2 Black Australorps (Blacky and Beauty), 3 Buff Orpingtons (Angel, Amber, and Penny), and 2 Easter Eggers (Bunny and Diva).
Reply
Kelsey. Massachusetts. Have a 5 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix named Gator, a 6 year old kitty named Luna, and 8 hens hatched October 26th, 2015. 1 Barred Rock (May), 2 Black Australorps (Blacky and Beauty), 3 Buff Orpingtons (Angel, Amber, and Penny), and 2 Easter Eggers (Bunny and Diva).
Reply
post #2753 of 2756
I do 6oz already they would take more if I let them. However they both eatig grain and alfalfa and drinking water.
post #2754 of 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfreak101 View Post

I do 6oz already they would take more if I let them. However they both eatig grain and alfalfa and drinking water.

The majority of their diets should be milk as the rumin is not developed yet to digest grain so I recommend 8 ounce bottles and not so much grain intake. At that age mine nibble but aren't really eating it yet.
post #2755 of 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMtFarm View Post


The majority of their diets should be milk as the rumin is not developed yet to digest grain so I recommend 8 ounce bottles and not so much grain intake. At that age mine nibble but aren't really eating it yet.

Until the baby goat can digest the grain, it won't eat it. I fed my kids all the hay and grain they would eat until they were a few months old. By having it in front of them all the time they won't overeat. Since I was raising a lot of kids, mine just got fed milk twice a day. More frequent feedings would have been better but I just did not have the time. As I remember it was 20 oz. per feeding and they did fine on it.  I have friends that feed their kids free choice cold milk and their kids do really well too. The kids on free choice milk grew faster than mine, but by the time they were adults there was no difference in size. Mine were full size goats, not minis.

The obscure we understand eventually. 
The obvious takes a little longer.
Reply
The obscure we understand eventually. 
The obvious takes a little longer.
Reply
post #2756 of 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie View Post

Until the baby goat can digest the grain, it won't eat it. I fed my kids all the hay and grain they would eat until they were a few months old. By having it in front of them all the time they won't overeat. Since I was raising a lot of kids, mine just got fed milk twice a day. More frequent feedings would have been better but I just did not have the time. As I remember it was 20 oz. per feeding and they did fine on it.  I have friends that feed their kids free choice cold milk and their kids do really well too. The kids on free choice milk grew faster than mine, but by the time they were adults there was no difference in size. Mine were full size goats, not minis.

Actually that's not true, they will eat it. We did a necropsy for our internship in college of a few baby goats that had died and we had to identify what had killed them. We dissected the rumens on them and there were a couple that were 3 to 4 weeks. They indeed had grain in their rumen but that's not why these perished. They can be offered a little grain but if not fed enough milk and they are hungry, they will eat processed feed and some begin to prefer it over milk. Not all, but some will.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Pets & Livestock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Miscellaneous › Other Pets & Livestock › Lets talk about goats!