New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

poisonous coop materials?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

So my Aunt has been doing 4-H for a long time and when I got my chickens, she informed me that pressure treated wood is poisonous to chickens. I'm worried because there are pressure treated posts forming the corners of my coop. Also, is rust - oleum rot resistant paint bad to have inside a chicken tractor? Thanks for the help?

Mad Hatter - "Have I gone mad?"

 

Alice - "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

Reply

Mad Hatter - "Have I gone mad?"

 

Alice - "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

Reply
post #2 of 6

Just don't grind up the pressure treated posts and fee them to your birds and everything will be fine.

Keep your chickens safe from predators, buy and wear fur. 
Reply
Keep your chickens safe from predators, buy and wear fur. 
Reply
post #3 of 6

I don't think the new pressure treated is that bad any more. 

 

  "Wood industrially pressure-treated with approved preservative products poses a limited risk to the public, but should be disposed of properly. On December 31, 2003, the US wood treatment industry stopped treating residential lumber with arsenic and chromium"

  "Although pesticides are used to treat lumber, preserving lumber protects natural resources (in the short term) by enabling wood products to last longer. Previous poor practices in industry have left legacies of contaminated ground and water around wood treatment sites in some cases. However, under currently approved industry practices and regulatory controls such as implemented in Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and elsewhere, environmental impact of these operations should be minimal."

 "Wood treated with modern preservatives is generally safe to handle given appropriate handling precautions and personal protection measures. However, treated wood may present certain hazards in some circumstances such as during combustion or where loose wood dust particles or other fine toxic residues are generated or where treated wood comes into direct contact with food and agriculture."

      Source:  Wood preservation.  From Wikipedia

 

Main concern these days is to keep you chickens away from any saw dust you might make while cutting the wood.

post #4 of 6

Treated wood is a problem when the sawdust is ingested.  The new version is safer.  Contact with the older version was thought to cause the poisons to be taken up in plants or absorbed through the skin.  Of course, it should never be burned.

 

Modern paints are not toxic once cured.

 

Chris

post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 

probably a dumb question but how do you cure paint? Is that just letting it dry and sit in the sun? Sorry for my ignorance!idunno.gif

Mad Hatter - "Have I gone mad?"

 

Alice - "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

Reply

Mad Hatter - "Have I gone mad?"

 

Alice - "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."

Reply
post #6 of 6

usually just takes time, maybe a week, depends on the paint, temperature etc. Some cure very fast but you are unlikely to use them (e.g. two part marine paints)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: