Originally Posted by lindalouly
Originally Posted by ChickenLady2014
That is truly scary. When my garage caught fire last summer & I had to call the fire department to come help me save all the buildings & house I was terrified. As soon as I called 911 I headed out to the garage & starting trying to knock the fire down. The whole end of the garage was fully engulfed & had burned into the rafters. All I could think about was all my husbands tools & how I had to get the fire under control. The wind was horrific that day. That's how the fire had gotten so out of control without me knowing it. It was blowing the black smoke away from the house & I was in the garage attached to the house painting. If I hadn't been in the garage it would have been a lot worse. While painting I had the back door open and I kept hearing a sound like a plastic grocery sack caught on a branch or fence flapping hard in the high winds. Well it wasn't a plastic bag. When I stepped out the back door, all I could see was black billowing smoke & flames reaching high in the air coming over the top of the garage. Thankfully I heard the noise otherwise the building would have been gone in a few more minutes. I ran out & grabbed the hose & started watering down the flames. As fast as I sprayed the fire, the fire leapt to a new area. If the fire department hadn't finally arrived, it would have been a goner & could have easily spread to the house. Fires scare me to death now. Never want to go thru that again.
I went through a similar situation October 31 2014. Scariest moment of my life. Thought my dogs were dead.. The fire department came and put it out... My dryer caught on fire.
Have had that happen before, but luckily I had a fire extinguishers & put it out. The garage fire started because of my ignorance & carelessness. We had gotten the Silkie coop finished & the T11 siding needed to be stained. I had stained half of it the day before & thrown the paper towel from cleanup in the trash can in the back garage. Normally I burn that stuff in the fire pit when I'm finished for the day, but we were experiencing drought conditions & there was burning bans in place so I could burn it. Everything was good, headed out to collect eggs the next morning & I would put the partial carton in the back garage where it was cool until it was full, but when I opened the garage door all I could smell was stain. So dummy me grabbed the trash can & sat it outside the garage door so it wasn't stinking up the eggs. Then I headed to the front garage to get a coat of paint on the coop door. Temps were almost 80* & the oil based stain self combusted on the paper towel & burned the plastic trash can catching the vynol siding on fire. The rest is history, we lost a third of the garage to the fire that had to be rebuilt, but it could have been much worse.