BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Meat Birds ETC › best hatchery to purchase dark cornish?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best hatchery to purchase dark cornish? - Page 7

post #61 of 66

I,ve been looking for DC  for a while and from  what  I red  and researched  Cackle Hatchery has  the best  strain  as far  as hatcheries go.   Unfortunately  Cackle  did not  sell any  DK  chicks  this season  (2015).  I called them  asking   why  and they  would not  give straight  answer,  just  typical BS  "they  are not  available this year".

 

As far as Stromberg  and  Murray is concerned  I would not buy  any  birds from  them  cause they  are  just  a chicken "brokers"   they  do  not  hatch  anything. Why buy overpriced  merchandise  from  a middlemen?

 

From  my  experience with  hatcheries  over the last  10   years   the best   were  Cackle,  Mrhealthy  and Mayers.    Ideal   was  barely  acceptable   but  that  is the biggest   chicken "factory"  of them  all.

 

So  I am waiting   for Cackle  new  offerings  for 2016   and if  they  have  Dark  Cornish available   I am going  to  order  as soon  as they  are available.

Good  Lord  made birds  of meat   for us  to eat.
Reply
Good  Lord  made birds  of meat   for us  to eat.
Reply
post #62 of 66
dark Cornish roosters and hens all 5months old from Murray McMurry
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaycanGamefowl View Post

dark Cornish roosters and hens all 5months old from Murray McMurry

We didn't get any roos, but have 13 DC hens from McMurray and are very happy with them. 7 of them went broody their first year and are great mothers. Good foragers and healthy. No problems at all.


Edited by chicksurreal - 11/8/15 at 6:30pm
post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascopol View Post
 

I,ve been looking for DC  for a while and from  what  I red  and researched  Cackle Hatchery has  the best  strain  as far  as hatcheries go.   Unfortunately  Cackle  did not  sell any  DK  chicks  this season  (2015).  I called them  asking   why  and they  would not  give straight  answer,  just  typical BS  "they  are not  available this year".

 

As far as Stromberg  and  Murray is concerned  I would not buy  any  birds from  them  cause they  are  just  a chicken "brokers"   they  do  not  hatch  anything. Why buy overpriced  merchandise  from  a middlemen?

 

From  my  experience with  hatcheries  over the last  10   years   the best   were  Cackle,  Mrhealthy  and Mayers.    Ideal   was  barely  acceptable   but  that  is the biggest   chicken "factory"  of them  all.

 

So  I am waiting   for Cackle  new  offerings  for 2016   and if  they  have  Dark  Cornish available   I am going  to  order  as soon  as they  are available.

I've never purchased from Stromberg's, but from what I understand Murray McMurray has their own hatchery. You can take an online tour of it and the TV show "How It's Made" did a show about their hatchery. 

 

We've purchase many chicks from McMurray and have never had any problems with them. We purchased 13 DC chicks from them and have been very happy with the girls.

 

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong about them having their own hatchery...

post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicksurreal View Post

We didn't get any roos, but have 13 DC hens from McMurray and are very happy with them. 7 of them went broody their first year and are great mothers. Good foragers and healthy. No problems at all.
yes I have 7 dk hens and 2 dk roosters the hens are sweet as can be
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaycanGamefowl View Post


yes I have 7 dk hens and 2 dk roosters the hens are sweet as can be

They're some of my favorites! The most dedicated mothers and very sweet girls. I have one (Esmerelda) that flies up to my shoulder when I bring treats. She knows she'll get extra up there. Lol!

 

I expected them to be a bit mean by looking at the pictures of them, but they aren't. They're really good layers too, the eggs aren't huge, but they are very consistent.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Meat Birds ETC
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Meat Birds ETC › best hatchery to purchase dark cornish?