Something is wrong with one of our new Wheaten Ameraucana chicks!
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. She is a favorite – always very gentle.
Here are the answers to the questions. These are the first chickens that we have kept. We purchased 10 SR from a breeder. One died in the mail. They have not been vaccinated. Of the nine, only three were pullets, so we purchased 4 one day old pullets from a farm supply store Thursday. The birds have been separate with the only exception being that the ameraucanas stayed in a brooder one night that was partitioned for the new chicks.
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.
5 week Wheaten Ameraucana pullet. Of the nine chicks, she seems average sized. There are two that are much smaller with no symptoms.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is limping and putting very little weight on one leg, her wing on the opposite side seems to droop. She sometimes tips over. Today, she seems to lay down almost all the time – not even getting up when she is stepped on. When she lays down, she seems to tilt to one side. I have seen her walk to water and food. Today, I have seen her on the roost (2 by 4 up about 24 inches off the ground) and when I brought her in, she jumped to stand on the edge of her cardboard box – again maybe 18 inches high. Still, when I hold her, she settles in and doesn’t want to move.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
They are pronounced today. In hind sight, maybe she was “tilting” up to seven days ago.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Don’t know. She is one of nine ameraucanas that I purchased from a breeder. They were moved outside to a new coop two days ago – and spent the first night outside last night.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Medicated chick crumbles. Water. A few bits of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, grass –(outside during the days in pen) I have seen her eat and drink today, but not as much as the others.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I brought her in when I noticed that she was getting stepped on.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I’m open to taking her to a vet, but would like to avoid it if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
New coop. Pine flake bedding. Plenty of ventilation.