Originally Posted by 3ChickensinNC
Thanks guys for the information. I do have a heat lamp and bulb, but after our local news aired a house fire that was caused by a heat lamp that the family cat knocked over I am really worried that something will happen. The only thing that survived the fire was the cat and the empy chicken coop, baby chicks did not make it . That is why I went and got it, but know I am not sure. I just dont want to come home to a house that is burned down with my baby chicks and my doggies.
That is why I said use a cross bar and secure it to the walls (say a 2X2 cut to the width of the box, put a screw in each side, then put a scrap of 1X4 or 2X4 whatever you have UNDER the crossbar, screw them in.) then use a chain or cable (you can drill holes in the top edges of the lamp hood and use small eye bolts to chain it to) secure the chain to the crossbar (a C-link, a clip, etc loop around the cross bar) also secure the light's cord in the same manner. This way you have two focus points of security JUST IN CASE something happens to say the cord or chain aloose, #2 security will keep it there.