Thank you for any help you can give. This happened to me last year with a 2 month old, though all others are healthy... now again, a year later. Could it be a spider bite? I always notice that the chick becomes a little less feisty, active, or responsive two days before this strange "paralysis". Then last night I went out at 10 p.m. with a bad feeling in my gut to find the other girls on the roosting bar while GB was lying on the ground, legs sprawled out. Needless to say my heart broke and I cradled her for a lot of the night, keeping her warm, giving her some water. I am so confused....
Per the moderator:
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
--- almost 4 months, not under weight, large, long legs, large red comb, unsure of breed, white and black spreckled with big red comb, long yellow bright legs
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
--- legs can be moved when dangling, but very weak and no strength - will not stand up
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
--- gradual lack of energy / excitement over 2-3 days and finally collapsed on legs, not flying or climbing to roosting bar at night
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
--- ate and seemed interested in food just 24 hours ago - I give organic pride and a homemade grain cereal (oats, millet, quinoa, rice cooked)
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
--- I haven't seen any all night
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
--- slivers of garlic Wednesday afternoon, water, warmth, this morning
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
--- vet really isn't an option - no one around where I live really knows anything about chickens - want to save her if I can
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
-- no wound - could photograph chicken in box, head propped up?
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
--- organic soil, leaves, sand
Edited by tree_78 - 10/10/08 at 11:35am