I had a bad experience today.
I made the last Mama Cave using the blocks like Aart showed us. It worked great I had used the screws to adjust it about 2 1/2 inches high. I used 2x2 ( which we all know are actually 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches. So the screw was out about 3/4-1 inch. I had 2 chicks work their way under the block and get stuck there and die. They got their head stuck and were not smart enough to back up and get free.
I am not blaming anyone, Whenever I think I have something perfect for animals they always manage to show me I was wrong.
Just be very careful with your cave. I have had chicks bunch up and smoother under heat lamps too. It happens. I just want to warn you guys to watch for it. I rebuilt it out of wire again. I hope it is ok now.
This does not mean I am done with Aart design, I like it and am going to use it again. I am going to 1/4 inch furring strips with holes drilled in it for the screws to go through, thus eliminating the space under the block.
And because Murphy's law likes to smack me around, it had to be 2 little Cream Legbar girls instead of boys.
Edited by duluthralphie - 2/17/16 at 8:21pm