Sounds like a good reason to go with the most basic frame
- A piece of 1/2" hardware cloth or welded wire fencing.
- Attach the pad to one side with the printed side showing, fuzzy side against the wire.
- Stick the whole thing in a pillowcase you got cheap at Goodwill if you don't have any old ones.
- Use some method to hold the pillowcase up to the pad so the chicks can be in contact with it.
- Bend the whole thing into the shape you need for day old chicks. About 2" high in the back, 4" in the front.
- If you like, put an old towel over the top hanging down a couple of inches in the front.
- If it is outside in the coop, maybe cover the top with hay.
- Need it higher as they grow? Bend it to make it arch more.
That actually is what I did for mine! Except that I didn't secure anything, just placed it on top, and eventually I took the pillowcase off and just used towels. But mine I don't think would arch so I used the bricks. Maybe I jist didn't think of the arching it more thing, not sure. But I had adjusted the shape a lot so it got kinda messed up, i had the vinyl coated one so maybe its easier to bend. Anyway, maybe next time it would work better but it didn't really work so well this time for me. I liked the idea of hardware cloth or an ove grill thing screwed to wood, may try that one next. Or try the welded wire again but secured on with bungies or something this time