BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ › What is the difference between...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the difference between...

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
A Crèvecœur And A Polish? Someone said my "polish" is a Crèvecœur how do you tell them apart? Heres my chick
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1758537981132750/

Instagram @official_poultrybonkers
Youtube and Facebook @Poultrybonkers
Reply
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1758537981132750/

Instagram @official_poultrybonkers
Youtube and Facebook @Poultrybonkers
Reply
post #2 of 9

Crevecoeurs and Polish are both in the Continental class, but Crevecoeurs are in the French sub-class while Polish are in the Polish sub-class. Also, Crevecoeurs have smaller crests and are always solid black, but Polish don't come in a variety of pure black. So, yes, your chick is a Crevecoeur. 

2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, 3 Partridge Rocks, 3 Red Sex-Links, and 5 Khaki Campbell Ducks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, 3 Partridge Rocks, 3 Red Sex-Links, and 5 Khaki Campbell Ducks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry18 View Post

Crevecoeurs and Polish are both in the Continental class, but Crevecoeurs are in the French sub-class while Polish are in the Polish sub-class. Also, Crevecoeurs have smaller crests and are always solid black, but Polish don't come in a variety of pure black. So, yes, your chick is a Crevecoeur. 
Dont polish come in self black?
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1758537981132750/

Instagram @official_poultrybonkers
Youtube and Facebook @Poultrybonkers
Reply
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1758537981132750/

Instagram @official_poultrybonkers
Youtube and Facebook @Poultrybonkers
Reply
post #4 of 9

Yes, sorry I forgot about that one. Technically there is that variety, but I referring to my Standard of Perfection but forgot that the APA hasn't recognized Self-Black Polish as a true variety of Polish (there are 14 varieties of Polish that are not in the the Standard). Actually, Darwin thought that Crevecoeurs and Houdans were sub-varieties of Polish. Where did you get the chick? That plays a huge factor in deciding the breed. Also, do you have any pictures of when it was a chick? Crevecoeur chicks have more white on them.


Edited by Blackberry18 - 5/1/15 at 1:20pm
2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, 3 Partridge Rocks, 3 Red Sex-Links, and 5 Khaki Campbell Ducks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, 3 Partridge Rocks, 3 Red Sex-Links, and 5 Khaki Campbell Ducks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry18 View Post

Yes, sorry I forgot about that one. Technically there is that variety, but I referring to my Standard of Perfection but forgot that the APA hasn't recognized Self-Black Polish as a true variety of Polish (there are 14 varieties of Polish that are not in the the Standard). Actually, Darwin thought that Crevecoeurs and Houdans were sub-varieties of Polish. Where did you get the chick? That plays a huge factor in deciding the breed. Also, do you have any pictures of when it was a chick? Crevecoeur chicks have more white on them.
Heres it as a chick never had any white on it.

This chick came from meyer hatchery which they do not sell crevecoeur or self black polish.
Edited by Poultrybonkers - 5/1/15 at 1:37pm
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1758537981132750/

Instagram @official_poultrybonkers
Youtube and Facebook @Poultrybonkers
Reply
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1758537981132750/

Instagram @official_poultrybonkers
Youtube and Facebook @Poultrybonkers
Reply
post #6 of 9

That's a little odd, Self Black Polish usually have white on them as chicks, too. But that's what I'm thinking anyway. You said Meyer Hatchery doesn't sell self Black Polish or Crevecoeurs, which this chick is obviously a Polish, so did the chick come under a different breed name?

2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, 3 Partridge Rocks, 3 Red Sex-Links, and 5 Khaki Campbell Ducks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, 3 Partridge Rocks, 3 Red Sex-Links, and 5 Khaki Campbell Ducks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry18 View Post

That's a little odd, Self Black Polish usually have white on them as chicks, too. But that's what I'm thinking anyway. You said Meyer Hatchery doesn't sell self Black Polish or Crevecoeurs, which this chick is obviously a Polish, so did the chick come under a different breed name?
It was part of the leannas adopt me bargain. But there site doesnt sell either breed. So how would they get a chick there not even breeding. Lol
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1758537981132750/

Instagram @official_poultrybonkers
Youtube and Facebook @Poultrybonkers
Reply
JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1758537981132750/

Instagram @official_poultrybonkers
Youtube and Facebook @Poultrybonkers
Reply
post #8 of 9

Yeah, hatcheries often make mistakes. Cockerels in a run of pullets, I've even heard of a Brahma in with the Leghorn chicks, of all things. 

2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, 3 Partridge Rocks, 3 Red Sex-Links, and 5 Khaki Campbell Ducks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, 3 Partridge Rocks, 3 Red Sex-Links, and 5 Khaki Campbell Ducks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
post #9 of 9
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General breed discussions & FAQ
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › General breed discussions & FAQ › What is the difference between...