BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one! - Page 2746

post #27451 of 34786
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLynn2374 View Post

Ok, I have a question for the fermented feed feeders out there. When you talk about fermented feed, are you talking about using regular crumble/pellets or scratch grains and raw stuff? I am asking because the group on FB (not the crazy control freaks) was talking about it and one member made the comment that you should never ferment crumbles/pellets just grains. So I've been floating around the web reading different FF sources and I see talk about grains and "feed" but not finding specifics to crumbles/pellets being fermented and now it has me all confused.
I saw this yesterday too and it had me thinking. I make it with starter crumbles and it bubbles and smells fermented. They love it. I will send you the article that I follow. It says you can make it out of anything you are feeding them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy gardener View Post

 For the chicken chickens, I recommend feeding them when they're hungry, and perhaps sprinkling some of their dry feed or scratch on top.  By the time they get through the dry familiar stuff, the FF is a fun experience for them.

Funny that you say this because that's exactly what I did with the ones that weren't wanting to try it! And it worked! Guess my brain works good sometimes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfam06 View Post

So....here is what happens when you enter a coop at dusk and the rooster has yet to go to roost.



I caught him in mid air which is why I got scratched. What a bad boy!!
Oh no! My boy would love to do this to me too. Put neosporin on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutHill View Post

Day or night my birds (both chickens and turkeys) know the difference between me and a coyote or dog or possum or coon.  A reassuring word brings contented clucks.  

I haven't had a mean rooster around since I was a kid, and he "accidentally" got in the way of the tractor mower deck.  My roos retreat to the far side of the coop or yard when I enter.  The tom turkeys don't, they walk nearby, but if I turn and face them they retreat.
I've made great friends with an old tom at my neighbors house. He walks right next to me as I stroll around the farm and he takes treats right from my hand. But he's the only turkey there. He's a sweet old boy. I wish he had another of his kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicapee View Post

Busy day. Painted daughters face for work this morning.

Before



After.
She's sooo pretty!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfam06 View Post

Was the hatch rate for shipped eggs based on lockdown counts or total eggs shipped count?
I believe it's lockdown numbers. But I think we once said that if a large percentage of eggs died before lockdown (like 75%) and you only locked down 2 or 3 and they all hatched then it wouldn't count.
post #27452 of 34786
So guess who learned how to crow today??? The black pullet in question last week!!! lau.gif
I guess she wasn't just fighting to establish a higher hen pecking order. I almost peed my pants when I saw her crow!! He looks sooo much like a pullet!! gig.gif
It's actually a good thing because my main boy has to go. Not only is he mean and I can't walk in the run when he's in there but he's got a major flaw, I found out recently. I want to breed paints and black with silver gene is the best and that's exactly what this one is. So she will become my main man for time being.
post #27453 of 34786
Quote:
Originally Posted by frmboyinthecity View Post

It would have to include beads, right?



Considering i actually caught those myself this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLynn2374 View Post

I got the "science" behind the how to, (I read a dozen different resources), I'm not scared to try the process, what had me confused was conflicting info on using the regular feed (crumbles/pellets) opposed to scratch/raw grains. One article I read described when starting using mason jars (or your preference) and starting a seperate batch each day for like 4 days so you always have a rotating fresh supply on a daily basis. If I try this I will definitly start with a "intro" amount before going full on so I don't waste a bunch if they don't take to it, but I will give it a trial period and not give up the first day if they balk at it either.  Thank you for clearing that up. big_smile.png

I glad you looked it up, without doing the reading yourself its hard to understand. Rot isnt suposed to be complicated But...

Please remmeber also, the cautionairy on sealing FF in glass jars.

Did you mention passing out in the coop because you have a tendancy to pass out? Thats something im Very scared of too! I have a tendancy to pass out. More than once ive hit the ground passed smooth out, like half a dozen times in a row, trien to get back up too soon, because the ground was particularly nasty. After the first time i had to sit on the ground right outside the coop, i put a chair there and now thats what i shoot for anytime my vision starts greying or tunneling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkchick View Post

Thanks, I will give it more time

Part of the reason i was origionally discouraged is exactly your problem: it took my first batch almost a week to eat thru the preservatives in the chosen feed and start fermenting.
Flockin Tadpole
Reply
Flockin Tadpole
Reply
post #27454 of 34786
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyNala97 View Post

So guess who learned how to crow today??? The black pullet in question last week!!! lau.gif
I guess she wasn't just fighting to establish a higher hen pecking order. I almost peed my pants when I saw her crow!! He looks sooo much like a pullet!! gig.gif
It's actually a good thing because my main boy has to go. Not only is he mean and I can't walk in the run when he's in there but he's got a major flaw, I found out recently. I want to breed paints and black with silver gene is the best and that's exactly what this one is. So she will become my main man for time being.

What breed is he?

post #27455 of 34786
Is the reason to ferment feed.. just so they can digest it better?
When I was a boy. We had pigs and whenever we got whole grain like barley..they couldn't digest it because it wasn't ground...so we had to soak it. Let it swell up..so it was soft. And yeah smelled like beer.. pigs liked though.
I wouldn't think chickens would have that problem though. .specially if your soaking already ground grain.
post #27456 of 34786
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyNala97 View Post

So guess who learned how to crow today??? The black pullet in question last week!!! lau.gif
I guess she wasn't just fighting to establish a higher hen pecking order. I almost peed my pants when I saw her crow!! He looks sooo much like a pullet!! gig.gif
It's actually a good thing because my main boy has to go. Not only is he mean and I can't walk in the run when he's in there but he's got a major flaw, I found out recently. I want to breed paints and black with silver gene is the best and that's exactly what this one is. So she will become my main man for time being.

Haha Ruby that's too funny. At least it turns out to be a good thing he's a boy.
Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, large fowl lavender orpingtons, bantam chocolate orpingtons, bantam cochins, silver duckwing OEGBs and Seramas! 
Reply
Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, large fowl lavender orpingtons, bantam chocolate orpingtons, bantam cochins, silver duckwing OEGBs and Seramas! 
Reply
post #27457 of 34786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronott1 View Post

What breed is he?

Silkie
Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, large fowl lavender orpingtons, bantam chocolate orpingtons, bantam cochins, silver duckwing OEGBs and Seramas! 
Reply
Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, large fowl lavender orpingtons, bantam chocolate orpingtons, bantam cochins, silver duckwing OEGBs and Seramas! 
Reply
post #27458 of 34786
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVduckchick View Post


Silkie

They are very hard to figure out for gender!

post #27459 of 34786
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhites634 View Post

You have a very attractive daughter.
Thank you she was all dressed up for my oldest daughters wedding.
Asian Blue, Royal Palm, Black Copper Marans, Lavender Ameraucana, Cream Legbar, Speckled Sussex, Lemon Cuckoo Orpington, Barbezieux and Bresse, 2 German Shepherds and a Jay.
Bees here 4/15/2016. tongue.png
Reply
Asian Blue, Royal Palm, Black Copper Marans, Lavender Ameraucana, Cream Legbar, Speckled Sussex, Lemon Cuckoo Orpington, Barbezieux and Bresse, 2 German Shepherds and a Jay.
Bees here 4/15/2016. tongue.png
Reply
post #27460 of 34786
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfam06 View Post

Was the hatch rate for shipped eggs based on lockdown counts or total eggs shipped count?
I think it was total viable eggs. I think clears dont count, but dis does.But I could be wrong.
Asian Blue, Royal Palm, Black Copper Marans, Lavender Ameraucana, Cream Legbar, Speckled Sussex, Lemon Cuckoo Orpington, Barbezieux and Bresse, 2 German Shepherds and a Jay.
Bees here 4/15/2016. tongue.png
Reply
Asian Blue, Royal Palm, Black Copper Marans, Lavender Ameraucana, Cream Legbar, Speckled Sussex, Lemon Cuckoo Orpington, Barbezieux and Bresse, 2 German Shepherds and a Jay.
Bees here 4/15/2016. tongue.png
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Incubating & Hatching Eggs › She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!