So I have a happy ending to my Purely Poultry review. The 2 day-old Cayuga ducklings arrived in very healthy and active condition this morning- All the way from California. Considering I paid $56.99 in shipping for a USPS 3-day Priority shipment, I was very pleased with the speedy delivery. They actually arrived just as fast as a USPS Express package would- so they obviously jet these babies around the lower 48 states. My final posting for someone wondering if they should order from Purely Poultry is to read this, then use your own judgement:
1. Most importantly, I have 2 beautiful Cayuga ducklings in the brooder with Jane the gosling. They arrived super fast- even between California and Wisconsin. They could not have been boxed up better with a straw mat and food.
2. Personally, I am not comfortable having just 2 little day-olds shipped such a distance in any weather, even if it is local. I was under the impression from the Purely Poultry website that their birds came "regionally" as it states on their 'sellers' page. Even the return address label on the box they arrived in was labeled "Freemont, Wisconsin".
3. I did email customer service several days ago to inquire where their birds came from, (after the customer service rep. told me their ducks came from out of state). They never answered me- Although they seemed to receive all my other emails, this one seemed to disappear.
4. The fact that "all of their waterfowl comes from California"- as stated by one of their customer service reps- needs to be posted on their website. California is not "regional" to Wisconsin. "Regional"= would be the upper mid-west area.
5. Customer Service was what made me never want to order anything from Purely Poultry again! The first one had no idea what was going on when my order was delayed a week. She said she would email me. 3 HOURS LATER!- I had to call again and got ahold of a different woman who told me their had been a "mistake in the hatch date"- by a week? If an order can't be fulfilled because of many reasons that come with the hatchery business, I will understand, but please tell me the truth and repect me as a paying customer. Other hatcheries, (MyPetChicken.com on the East coast), have called more than once when my order could not be shipped as scheduled. I at least appreciate being informed of what is going on with my order. The third customer rep. was just rude- not friendly at all. At first she refused to tell me where she was located, then admited she worked from her home in Missouri?
So use your own judgement. Personally, I will not order from Purely Poultry again, simply because of the unfriendly customer service. I hope this has been helpful information.
-Susan K. Nekoosa, Wisconsin. " Have a great and FRIENDLY day!"