New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wyandotte Crosses - Page 4

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbagawk View Post


I doubt this forum will ever end, haha. I'm getting a Wyandotte (no idea which variety, they're all pretty), a Rhode Island Red, a Buff Orpington, and a Barred Rock. I might get an extra chick of some sort to provide for the unfortunate possibility of illness in my baby flock, but that's all I can fit in my suburb backyard as of this moment.

Those are fantastic dual-purpose breeds. What do Wyandotte chick look like? Or did you order them and then picking them up?

2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, and 3 Partridge Rocks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, and 3 Partridge Rocks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
post #32 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry18 View Post

Those are fantastic dual-purpose breeds. What do Wyandotte chick look like? Or did you order them and then picking them up?
The feed store has different breeds every week, the owner says what they order for the next week depends on their sales for the current week. When I called last Thursday (when I planned on buying chicks) they had none of the breeds I wanted. I'm still kicking myself because they had all of then two weeks ago, but I didn't know if I could clear an area for them yet. Now I know, and I'm hoping I persuaded him to get the ones I want this week!
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbagawk View Post


The feed store has different breeds every week, the owner says what they order for the next week depends on their sales for the current week. When I called last Thursday (when I planned on buying chicks) they had none of the breeds I wanted. I'm still kicking myself because they had all of then two weeks ago, but I didn't know if I could clear an area for them yet. Now I know, and I'm hoping I persuaded him to get the ones I want this week!

I hope so! Last year, I was torn between getting two different breeds. I show chickens in the county fair, and I was getting them late, so I needed a breed that matured quickly. I went to two different feed stores, one had White Leghorns, the other had Buff Orpingtons. I chose the Leghorns, and am really pleased with them. They are extremely friendly and social, and great layers. They're a handful, though. I literally had to spy on them in order to figure out how they were getting out of there pen!

2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, and 3 Partridge Rocks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, and 3 Partridge Rocks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
post #34 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry18 View Post

I hope so! Last year, I was torn between getting two different breeds. I show chickens in the county fair, and I was getting them late, so I needed a breed that matured quickly. I went to two different feed stores, one had White Leghorns, the other had Buff Orpingtons. I chose the Leghorns, and am really pleased with them. They are extremely friendly and social, and great layers. They're a handful, though. I literally had to spy on them in order to figure out how they were getting out of there pen!
Chickens are much smarter than people give them credit for! I picked Buff Orpington's because my friend recommended them. He loves them because they're "fat and fluffy." Funny to hear that terminology from a farmer, haha. Although if the feed store has Leghorns when I go over there, I might choose one as a back-up in case they don't have one of the other breeds I want.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbagawk View Post


Chickens are much smarter than people give them credit for! I picked Buff Orpington's because my friend recommended them. He loves them because they're "fat and fluffy." Funny to hear that terminology from a farmer, haha. Although if the feed store has Leghorns when I go over there, I might choose one as a back-up in case they don't have one of the other breeds I want.

That sounds good! I highly recommend Leghorns, no matter how much trouble they can be! Mine follow me everywhere and jump on my lap (which can be annoying when I'm gardening). Though, I'd say my favorite breed is Black Sex-Links. 

2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, and 3 Partridge Rocks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
2 Barred Rocks, 4 White Leghorns, 6 Light Brahmas, and 3 Partridge Rocks

"There are two types of (people) in this world;
those who want to be astronauts,
and those who want to be astronomers."


- Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park III
Reply
post #36 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry18 View Post

That sounds good! I highly recommend Leghorns, no matter how much trouble they can be! Mine follow me everywhere and jump on my lap (which can be annoying when I'm gardening). Though, I'd say my favorite breed is Black Sex-Links. 
Haha, I kinda want my chickens to "bother" me all of the time. My dogs do it, the chickens might as well too.
post #37 of 39
If you cross a Golden Laced rooster over a Silver Laved hen you will get Red Sex Link Wyandottes. Pullets will be golden and makes will be silver but then they start maturing they will get a little gold in them like normal red sex link roosters.
post #38 of 39
Well! My Silver Laced Wyandotte Roo and Gold Laced Wyandotte just had an egg hatch on Thursday! On Friday the SLW x white Leghorn chick hatched and (I'm guessing) the SLW x Barred Rock egg too. We didn't mark the eggs and our two broody's hatched them out. This is what the baby's looks like today. The one in the back looks like a SLW, the one in the middle is the leghorn chick and the one closest we think is the barred rock ... Because of the white spot on its head. I'll let you know what they look like as they get bigger!
post #39 of 39

 

This is our SLW x Barred Rock Cross "Darth Vader" (named by a 5 year old).  He is as mean as can be.  Unfortunately for him I won't have any bully roos around so Monday he goes for his One Bad Day.

And this is Padfoot our SLW x ??? he too is going...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General breed discussions & FAQ