New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIP Cookie

Poll Results: Have you lost a chickens to raccoon's before?

 
  • 100% (3)
    Yes
  • 0% (0)
    No
3 Total Votes  
post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

My little mixed breed cookie was killed by a raccoon last night :hit. I have had many chickens caught by those animals :somad including her sister and mama. I just wanted to share how BYC helped me to save her during her hatch, she was supposed to have not survived but she was a fighter! Here are the threads: Here mama had some problems while brooding: *Pic added* Broody hen's neck seems stuckbroody hen with neck problem, This is what happened to her: Yellow mold on hatching egg *update*Please Read and HELP!!premature chick.

 

RIP Cookie!

900x900px-LL-5f255d26_IMG_1364.jpeg

Her Mama Oreo (Barred Rock)

Her Daddy Zorro (mutt)

Cookie

 

Thanks for reading,

ChickenGirl1

post #2 of 8

So sorry about your loss -- since it seems you have a pattern of problems with losses to racoons it may be that making some changes to your management and/or structures could help prevent further losses.

Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
Reply
Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Grey Mare View Post
 

So sorry about your loss -- since it seems you have a pattern of problems with losses to racoons it may be that making some changes to your management and/or structures could help prevent further losses.

We had a problem when we were new with chickens 4 years ago and our latest one besides yesterday was 2 years ago :-(. We set a trap out for it and will keep doing that until it's caught. 

post #4 of 8

I'm so sorry about Cookie.  I hope you trap the culprit.  But it is still  good idea to try and figure out how it got in.  Unfortunately, I have learned through experience that there is an endless supply of raccoons.

CHICKENS: to name just a few Cochin, Orpington,  OEG, Russian Orloff, Brahma.  Also have geese and cats
  SEE MY BYC PAGE  for photos 

  SEE MY  CHICKEN PAGE for even more photos

Reply

CHICKENS: to name just a few Cochin, Orpington,  OEG, Russian Orloff, Brahma.  Also have geese and cats
  SEE MY BYC PAGE  for photos 

  SEE MY  CHICKEN PAGE for even more photos

Reply
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch'n'peck View Post
 

I'm so sorry about Cookie.  I hope you trap the culprit.  But it is still  good idea to try and figure out how it got in.  Unfortunately, I have learned through experience that there is an endless supply of raccoons.

 

Yep - which is why the short term fix of eliminating one is all well and good, but only when combined with taking other, long-term, fixes to protect against the next to come along.

Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
Reply
Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Grey Mare View Post
 

 

Yep - which is why the short term fix of eliminating one is all well and good, but only when combined with taking other, long-term, fixes to protect against the next to come along.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch'n'peck View Post
 

I'm so sorry about Cookie.  I hope you trap the culprit.  But it is still  good idea to try and figure out how it got in.  Unfortunately, I have learned through experience that there is an endless supply of raccoons.

Thanks guys!

post #7 of 8

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's clear that Cookie was very loved (and cute!)... Stay strong :hugs

post #8 of 8

Sorry for you're loss! I know the pain of losing a chicken by a racoon:hit

Let us then with CONFIDENCE, draw near to the throne of GRACE, that we may receive MERCY, and find GRACE, to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 188:24

I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

 

Reply

Let us then with CONFIDENCE, draw near to the throne of GRACE, that we may receive MERCY, and find GRACE, to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 188:24

I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home