Couldn't resist and ordered one today. Can't wait to try it out. Anyone else?
For Sale: ReptiPro 6000 Digital Egg Incubators- Exclusive BYC Price! - Page 5
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
I hooked up my Reptipro and set it to 100. It's literally 'plug and play' out of the box. Love it! I turned off 'mute' mode, which seems to tone-down the fan noise, as I read on the forums 'mute mode' might attribute to less stable temps. In less than 5 min it was up to 100. I monitored each shelf for about 2 hours, was impressed, and set eggs. Top and middle shelf were spot-on, but like the reviews say, the bottom of the unit runs 4 degrees cooler. So I made a third shelf out of the styrofoam from the packaging. The shelf is about 2" from the bottom and sits pretty at 99 degrees. I'm tempted to put a 4th shelf up top, but with 66 eggs crammed in there, I think I should take it easy for a minute!
If I could offer my immediate feedback for Reptipro, and for fellow consumers;
- A 'display lights off' feature would be awesome. The backlight on the buttons are extremely bright. Nice by day, intense by night.
- While the unit was louder than expected when I first turned it on, in retrospect, it's very quiet for what it is. I'm just coming from an incubator that made no noise at all :P It just won't be going in my bedroom, for sure.
- I LOVE the handle, and good job on the nice long cord!
- The unit is actually bigger and lighter than I anticipated. I read the dimensions online and tried to visualize, but I'm impressed.
- I had read somewhere that egg capacity was 60. That might not have been an official Reptipro ad, I don't recall, but it's definitely not 60 chicken egg. I can cram about 20 large/XL eggs on one shelf. With my 3rd shelf I managed 66 eggs, 6 of which were banties, and it's packed tight. While I was hoping for more space than this, I'm very excited to be able to hatch on shelves, because I can hatch different breeds on different tiers and not have to finagle sorting mix-breed hatches.
- The quality and durability of the unit looks solid and well done. I don't anticipate this thing breaking, at least structurally.
- The directions encourage the consumer to add more shelves as per their own ingenuity. Why not just make a full-shelf model? I think your marketability would skyrocket if you could advertise more egg capacity!
- The heat comes in near the top, and the cool air seems to circulate near the bottom, which is why the floor is so cool. If you ever make a 7000 model, working on this inconsistency might be a good focus!
- At first I thought "Psh, there's an inside light. Like I'll use that..." Now of course I'm loving the light for easy inspection ;)
Mark day "1" on my first Reptipro hatch! T-20 days to chicks!
We are working on a 7000 model and we will definitely take your suggestions and implement them into the new design. We love hearing what our customers say so we can continually improve our products.
Have a great weekend!