Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Dusty & white sfh.jpg
How are they doing with it use them right out of the incubator here sold all my other dishes at auction tell ya what got 56.00 for load of water tanks dishes

I got these when they were about 10 weeks old and the original owner wasn't doing water nipples. I've never had much trouble getting any to switch over and these took to it pretty fast. Hold a small bit of fruit, that I know they like, near the nipple seems to get them to peck in the right place faster. Otherwise they tend to just go after the water that hits the ground. Silly birds! In this case one seems much more inclined to peck the nipple than the other one. I wonder if the crest has anything to do with it. I'm thinking vision impairment.

CarolynF what colors/sex SFH did you get ? I want a few more yellow, not buff but yellow...so I am looking for a yellow cockerel.
Let me know if ya know ?

Mine are both pullets, a splash that's non-crested and a crested blue based red(?). I get very confused when it comes to naming the red/orange/brown/mahogany and what you are calling yellow. And I can't really picture what a yellow one would look like. Do you happen to have a picture, or a link to a picture that would show what you have in mind? When I think yellow, I think of baby chick and baby duck yellow. :)

That being said, the 2 flocks I know around here that aren't totally related are Nicole Davis (edmonds) and Carolyn Schuster (gig harbor). Todd in Oregon (near Travis) used to have them, too, can't remember his last name. And there are a lot of breeders on the East coast and Florida that have some nice flocks with a lot of variety.

Last edited:
Goosie pics....in order of size...

On my desk....next to a few dumbells...this little fluffy is a few days old.
This was about May 12 ?

View attachment 1040762
And today..........so here is a month later !!!!!! Wish I could upload the videos !

View attachment 1040755

View attachment 1040765

View attachment 1040766
Note their size compared to the tire ! They have grown an outstanding amount, and pobably have only consumed about 5 pounds of high protein feed....THEY LOVE GRASS ! And boy howdy do we have alot of grass ! They are super sweet birds, too...and due to their size, sometimes we have to remember they are still very much 'babies'......:love
I am sorry you are having so much pain :(

Have you ever hatched chicken and duck eggs in the same incubator? I have a gal asking me how to do it and I don't know anything about ducks! If you or anyone else here can give advice, I will pass it on.

I am sorry you are having so much pain :(

Have you ever hatched chicken and duck eggs in the same incubator? I have a gal asking me how to do it and I don't know anything about ducks! If you or anyone else here can give advice, I will pass it on.
You can incubate duck and chicken eggs at the same time, but you do have to make a few adjustments. Mallard duck breeds take about 28 days to incubate, so they need to be set a full week before the chicken eggs. Muscovy eggs take 35 days to incubate. Duck eggs need a bit higher humidity than chicken eggs, so that makes it a bit more difficult. About 50% RH is a good goal, and some people even mist the duck eggs daily.

OMG! I cannot seem to keep my wellsumers fenced in. I am about ready to trim their wings. I really don't want to but sheesh. They are about four months old. Do you think they will stop this flying once they get older? They are clearing six-foot fences.

OMG! I cannot seem to keep my wellsumers fenced in. I am about ready to trim their wings. I really don't want to but sheesh. They are about four months old. Do you think they will stop this flying once they get older? They are clearing six-foot fences.
Welsummers are very active and rambunctious so they probably won't settle down. Mine are constantly looking up at the top of the run and walking back and forth wanting to go up I thought it was just my dorky Welsummers but sounds like maybe not. They do it inside as well

I don't have wellsumers but all of my EEs who were fence fliers when young still do it at 5-6 years old. Good fliers tend to stay that way and I have the run netted to keep them in more than anything out.

I had to clip wings on the new birds they would not give up, my old girls the main coop only did it when snow started chasing but was glad they had the wings then

Back
Top Bottom