Not long ago, I built my first coop for my first flock of chickens. It stated out as a way to creatively get rid of some old materials I had around the house and bloomed into a fun hobby. Information on my first coop can be found under the article title "Salvaged Coop - 4.25". Recently I was approached by someone wanting to know if I was interested in building a coop for a local auction to benefit the Parenting Center. I agreed because I was in-between projects and was looking for something fun to do and since all the materials would be donated all I had to do was concentrate on the build. First off, Im a novice wood worker and far from skilled so it did take me time to decide on a design and get it built. I have trouble designing a project in my head and on paper so I went to the local Lowes and bought a stack of 2"x2"x8' pressure treated boards for the frame. When I built my last "salvaged" coop I used 4"x4" posts and all 2"x4" boards for the build and quickly found out I couldn't move it out of my garage without help. It was just way to heavy which is why I decided to go with 2"x2"s this time around. With the exception of some 2"x4" boards around the base of the coop.
I started by deciding how high the front and back would be, how big the nesting area would be and how long and wide the total coop would be. I then built the four sides and screwed them together. At this point I added supports, cross beams and other connectors. After learning the hard way, I used 1/4" hardware mesh for the floor and side walls. In my first coop I used a plywood floor and "chicken wire" for the wall. Needless to say, the plywood floor is full of poop and is disgusting. I also discovered that "chicken wire" is much to thin and tends to rust easily.
On my first coop I used standard roofing like would be found on a home. This too was also a mistake as the shingles are way to heavy. While strolling around Lowes I found a product called Ondura which came in a 79"x48" size which was the perfect size and was only $20.99. The special nails were $10 so the total roof cost was a bit over $30. Not bad and it came in light gray, red and brown.
I am attempting to put together a material list but I may not get around to it. In the meantime, I hope the attached pictures help someone looking to build a similar coop. Please feel free to contact me if you have any question.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!