Here is what should be included in your page:
1) A write up of how you built your coop along with any information you think would be helpful to other people who may want to build a similar coop.
Put 1.5" rigid insulation in all the walls. Hardware cloth on all sides of the chicken run, extending down 1 foot into the ground all the way around. Installed electricity to support a web came, light for the winter, and heat lamp for the winter. Used high grade, washable, and removable linoleum on the floors and in the nest boxes.
2) Any designs / plans you used to build your coop.
The Garden Coop Plans available at www.thegardencoop.com. Modifications to the plans were:
3) Pictures of your coop as it was being constructed.
- Changed the construction of the door to not use the angle brackets, but joined the wood at the corners
- Added the external nest boxes, instead of making them inside the hen house (plans for that from www.thegardencoop.com).
- Use longer roofing material to increase the overhang, to keep the rain out.
- Only have the entry hole and open top as ventilation.
We agreed not to publish pictures of the coop being built but here is our pile of materials that didn't stay in our garage nearly as long as we thought they would.
4) Finished pictures of your coop.
From the nest box side:
From the run side:
Insde the nest box - from the outside. The nesting boxes haven't been used yet.
Access door into the hen house, inside the chicken run:
Inside the hen house, looking toward the nest boxes:
Roosting bars in the hen house:
Bilevel ladder leading up to the hen house with a platform to rest:
Nipple Watering System - 1 Quart Waterbottle hung with a stair rail bracket. Thank you Sunny for the demonstration:
The screen door looking down at the happy ladies:
5) What you want to change / add to your completed coop.
We would like to add some curtains to the nest box but they aren't used yet. Also, we will add at least one more inside roosting bar and possibly a ladder for the smallest chicken.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!