My husband and I looked at hundreds of coops and picked out certain details we liked. We ended up with a quick sketch and constructed our coop in less than 2 weeks. We decided to make the entire coop out of cedar. Originally, it was going to house 4 hens, but after construction, we wanted a total of 6 girls. Ultimately, we allow our girls to free range during the day and they only enter the coop during the day to lay.
Framing out the sides
We used the kreg jig for attaching the frame together
Tongue and groove for the siding and the roof
Framing the nesting boxes
Planter on top of the run
The door to goes to the ramp
Moved outside. My husband made a door that opens down.
The floor is covered with linoleum flooring that we found on clearance. It is also removable for easy cleaning. It just slides in and out.
Finished product. We originally had the hardware cloth on the botton, but took it off after getting our hens. They have the freedom to have fun in the run.
Horizontal chicken nipples
They all like the top roost
The drain hose attached to the Planter to prevent stagnant water.
The drain hole. Our coop is slanted to drain to one corner. I used marine grade epoxy to attach a plastic liner around the drain hole.
I used this as a liner to prevent breakdown of the plywood underneath.
I used rock as the bottom so the water trickles down to the drain
The last thing to do is add more soil and to fasten the plastic to the top of the 2x6 frame.
Made in the USA
The girls are providing us the goods
Husband said if he were to do it over, it would have been cedar framed and plywood for the sides.
The girls wait for me every morning that I don't work to hangout while I drink my coffee!
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!