I have realized that there has been some confusion between the two breed, Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. I think one of the biggest causes of confusion is that a lot of hatcheries and feed stores mislabel Easter Eggers as ameraucanas (usually spelled americanas) So below I listed some characteristics of both breeds.
Easter Egger Characteristics
- They arent an actually breed. And don have a standard they have to follow. So these are just common characteristics.
- They do not come in a certain set of colors. They come in many different unique color combinations.
- Lay blue, green, or pink eggs
- Usually have pea combs (I have seen a few with single combs, it really just depends what else they are mixed with)
- Have green, yellow, or ocasionally slate colored legs
- Have a beard or muffs, and sometimes are clean faced
some easter eggers from my flock
- Come in 8 accepted colors- white, black, blue, silver, buff, brown red, wheaten, and blue wheaten.Some people are working on color projects, but I am not going to list them.
- Lay blue eggs
- Have a pea comb
- Have 4 toes
- Have muffs
- Have slate colored legs
Sorry I don't have any pics of the ameraucanas from my flock, but you can get on the ameraucana breeders website and look at pictures of all the varities. Here is a link www.ameraucana.org
If you think there is anything I should add or change just let me know. I hope this will be helpful to someone lol.Thank you for reading this article.