I made this incubator primarily for my game bird 'Aseel' eggs, so the name.
I made it by cutting and joining styrofoam sheets and then taping the outside to seal them.
There are two bulbs inside, one remains ON throughout and the other one is controlled by a wafer thermostat.
Bulb 1 60W with wafer:
Bulb 2 (I don't know the Watts):
I have two fans in there for air flow, one blows air at 45 degrees from up and the other sideways.
Fan 1 is visible in the picture above,
The bulbs are connected to dimmer switches which give me more control over the temperature, because my house does not have central heating hence the temperature of the room is directly influenced by outside temperature. So there are times when I have to increase the input of the small bulb when it gets too cold, and sometimes the large bulb does not reach the point that it can be turned off by the wafer, so the input to that one has to be increased.
The aquarium air pipe is for pouring water from outside to the water reservoir, and the electric socket was primarily for the PC Fan charger but later I decided to put 2 fans in there so I had to use a multi-socket extension cord instead.
I have two analog thermometers, a digital thermometer/hygrometer combo and an analog hygrometer.
I have used egg cartons with holes in sides and the bottom to set the eggs in and I am using manual turning for which I used 1.25" diameter cardboard rolls on which the cartons rest and then its the seesaw from there on
The olny thing I would like to change is get some more insulation.
As for the hatch rate, this is my first try in this incubator, all eggs were not yet fertile when I set them but I had to because I have a hen set eggs the same day and she will be foster mommy for these babies
Any suggestions are more than welcome, and I would love to answer any questions.
Day 5 Candling Pictures:
Day 7 Candling Pictures:
A blood ring and an infertile egg on day 7
Day 10 Candling Pictures:
Day 14 Candling Pictures:
Day 18 Candling Pictures:
Day 20 (in lockdown)
The first few pips:
The first hatch:
The 2nd one:
Over the night a few more made it out...
11 out of 21 have hatched till the end of day 21.
Video of one of my chicks hatching
Day 22nd, 20 of 21 hatched.
On day 23 the last one hatched giving this hatch a 100% success rate (32 Total set, 10 infertile, 1 blood ring = 21 hatched)
Now they are with their foster mother who had her own 6 chicks + these 21 = 27 chicks which she has under her now and she is taking good care of them for 3 days.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!