Articles from MSP

My Hen house build took what seemed like forever. I built it mostly by myself with a little help from DH, especially toward the end (thank you DH for helping when I was almost ready to give up). I started before my chicks got here and still ended up racing to get it done before they got too big. Located in Hot Mississippi my design was focused on good air circulation with the ability to close up things when the cold weather sets in. I decided to add on to my existing duck run and keep...
I changed my plans for the house several times always growing the house larger! First I was going to go with the duck house 3x6 and lift it up on 3 ft legs and close it in. When I decided not to house the ducks and chickens together it opened up my possibilities with the hen house. I had decided on a 6x6 and scoured the Internet for ideas. I came across this framing kit and thought that may make the roof easier for me to do by myself. The kit consist of brackets and a full material list,...
PAGE 5 Finishing up the Hen House! The peeps are getting big so they will move in before the house is done. This set the priority of what gets done first. I needed to get the wire on the run and the floor down in the house. Linoleum floor tiles! This is looking more like a house now! The floor wasn't perfect but I made an attempt to smooth it out and followed the manufactures instructions before putting the tile down. Stain! I used a solid stain and will stick to the color pallet of...
PAGE 4 Framing from here on was traditional framing of the window and door openings. This helped to make the structure solid. The framing kit doesn't call for this and relies on the siding to give the building rigidity. I wanted lots of windows so I needed more framing. I am putting in 7 windows, one chicken door and one human door. I nailed on the siding as soon as the framing was done. The door is an old closet door that we never used in our house. It was not intended for outdoor use...
PAGE 3 On to the roof! My floor is not PT so it was stressful to see rain in the forecast. The roof was two sheets of plywood, one sheet on each side. I definitely needed help getting that on. Standard asphalt roof went on soon after. Asphalt worked out to be the cheapest option and I tried to find a light color to keep it cooler. My peeps are here! Now I am under the gun to finish by the time they are 5 weeks old! I have 5 golden lace Wyandottes and 5 silver lace...
Loading...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: