We started this spring with the space looking like this:
I had a 6x8 coop that I built last summer but found it not big enough, and my gardens needed a lot of work. There was a lot of water around, poor drainage, and over all really needed a revamp. I also had dreams of a covered run, and scoured the internet for pictures and ideas.
We moved the old coop out of the way, and started filling the area that was to be our new coop. I put a huge beam across the back of my garden so there would be a step up to the coop and it would be high and dry. Then the build began.
I wanted a yard underneath, and it was built up on 4x4 posts, 2 ft up in the air. The base for the floor was put on top of this, and then the framing for an 8 x 12 shed began
We had lots of extra help
We ran the roof twenty feet to make our covered run. 12 feet for the shed and 8 extra feet for the run.
Put a door in each end, windows across the east face, and a window in the back behind the main roost
We cled it with plywood so we could use cedar strips to create a "board and batten" look. Added some exterior nesting boxes. and held up the roofed over run with 4x4 posts.
Now time to wire it all in and make it safe. Create the pop door on the floor inside to provide access to the basement (which stays incredibly cool on hot days!)
I split the inside in half, with a large brooder that runs over top in the second pen.
Started building garden boxes and fencing in the garden. And now it is ready to plant.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!