Almost Finished! Just a few more small things to do....of course until tomorrow
when I think of something else!
Once upon a time there was a family. A mommy, daddy, sister and little brother. The daddy wanted a little girl very much. He owned a sheet metal shop and could build anything out of metal. When the little girl was old enough he built her a playhouse. She loved it and many memories were made there. Mud pies and baby dolls. Pretending to be Laura Ingalls and when the little brother came along they played war.....the sister and her friends hid on the roof under the Dogwood and spied as the little brother battled it out with his buddies. Those days were amazing. The things that kids remember.
Years passed and the sister and little brother went away to college and moved out of the house and the playhouse sat there unused. The mom and dad contemplated tearing it down until one day the (not so little anymore) girl came home with a husband and the news that she was having a baby girl of her own. The granddaddy decided that the playhouse needed an upgrade, so he went to work adding awnings to the windows and a front porch. The inside got a fresh coat of paint and the granddaughter loved it! When the granddaughter was seven her "pop pop" passed away and she and her mommy moved in with the grandmother (Grammy).
The granddaughter grew older and the playhouse again began to sit unused, and again there was the thought of tearing it down until one day the granddaughter said, "The playhouse would make an awesome chicken coop!" Her mom and grammy agreed and she began to make plans. Now at age fourteen, the granddaughter has her own chicken coop complete with three young hens named Autumn, Hazel and Pipsqueak and this is her story!
The People Behind the Story
Hi! My name is Kelli and I am the original owner of the playhouse from the story above. Yeah, it was a little corny but it's our story. We began cleaning up the playhouse in early May of 2015. Pressure washing, scrubbing and basically just bringing it back to life. Then we took the plans that my daughter (Cam) drew up and started putting together a run. We read everything we could get our hands on about building a good run. We knew that the coop itself would be predator safe but the run was another story. Luckily, we don't live in a rural area so we were mostly worried about snakes, small rodents and of course the cat!!!!! In the end we ended up covering one half of the run with a galvanized roofing panel and the other half with bird netting held up by garden stakes. We had an escapee and the netting became a necessity. As with any project I can see where I want to make changes. I foresee this being an ongoing project!!!
This is the run before we added the roofing panel and bird netting. Yes, we used
hex (chicken) wire but will eventually switch to all hardware cloth.