Casa De Huevos Lux Interiors Chicken Coop Lots Of Pictures

By lux_interior, Jan 11, 2012 | |
Tags:
  1. lux_interior
    Casa De Huevos!
    Our Coop has finally been finished! I got the idea from another coop I found on BYC, and my boyfriend's father
    was able to recreate it almost exactly the same, but we did make a few changes. Enjoy!

    First they built the walls...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then it was time for them to go up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then the frame for the coop floor and inside double doors was put in. The floor was also put in then,
    but I can't seem to find a picture of that.
    [​IMG]
    Then the support boards for the roof were put up, and then topped with plywood and shingles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (this was also around the time that I had started painting the frame)
    [​IMG]
    After the roof, we added the chicken wire to the run, and put a door in the run also.
    [​IMG]
    The outside coop door to get eggs and the double doors inside the coop were also added.
    All three windows were screened with chicken wire to provide venting.
    [​IMG]
    The windows were then also covered to keep out rain, but they can be propped open to let in lots of fresh air!
    [​IMG]
    My son did an excellent job of helping me paint and get things ready for the girls to move in!
    [​IMG]
    Here are the finishings of the inside of the coop, including the nest boxes and perches:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is everything finished (except the chicken ladder) from the outside as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here are the girls taking their first steps out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A few days after they moved in, I also put up some roosts in the pen, and a small garden of lettuce and brocolli for them to eat off when it gets bigger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *UPDATE*
    ` Of course.... I ended up with more chickens. ... And then, a few more.... and some hatching eggs...
    SO, I needed more room!!!
    My coop is pretty big as is, so I only added a small area to that, but they definitely needed more run area...
    This is all still in the works, but here it is so far:
    (By the way, I did this all myself, I didn't have the big strong professional men to do it like last time)

    Here is the addition I built to the coop. (still needs trim, and a few other things added)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The open space above will be covered with chicken wire as soon as I cut another hole inside for them to access the main coop.
    this way, when the door on this section is closed, they will all be securely inside the coop :)
    I just realized I didn't take a picture of the door on here yet, but you can sort of see it here:
    [​IMG]

    So far, I have cut out the first hole inside this section which leads them under the main coop and into the enclosed run:
    [​IMG]
    view from inside enclosed run:
    [​IMG]
    All it needs now is another door going up to the coop with a ladder, which will be added here:

    [​IMG]

    The new addition I made to give them more runspace, is currently just a cheap temporary fence to give them some free range space.
    It will eventually be made more permament, but for now, they haven't yet tried to escape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So... now I can safely house my 16 chickens, with no fear of overcrowding or cannibalism ;)

    Share This Article

Comments

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by