I made this brooder with materials I had, only had to buy the wire. The original design had only the top area but then I added the lower to separate some of my smaller chicks that weren't growing as well. My bigger chicks didn't need the heat lamp and they picked on the smaller ones. I separated the areas using a small board to keep the shavings from getting in the food and water. My girls helped me paint it and we had a nice new home for our 11 chicks. The light on the bottom looks a lot more intense than it really is, but still puts out enough heat that the girls wont lay directly under it. I also am probably going to buy a different reflector for the top area.