A lot of the people at BYC keep chickens as pets. People give their dogs treats, do why don't chickens join in on the fun? Below are some easy treats that your chickens will love.
Chickens have different tastes, so not all the treats will be liked by the chickens. So don't be disappointed, and just try another treat!
Crumble Feed Mash
If you feed your chickens crumble feed, you have all the supplies to make this.
- As much crumble feed as you want to feed your chickens.
- About a cup of water
- Any of your chickens favorite treat
- Put the feed in a bowl and pour in the water a little at a team mixing it in. Atop adding water when the mixture reaches a porridg-ey consistency. Then stir in your treats. This treat is perfect for any weather, since you can use cold or hot water. It is also a great way to get your chickens to enjoy eating their crumble. You can also hide supplements and vitamins in the mash.
These treats don't need any preparation. All you need to make these delicious snacks is the ingredients themselves.
- Meats: Fish, other types of meat
- Worms: mealworms, waxworms, earthworms
- Yogurt and cheese: unsweetened plain yogurt and plain cheese
- Leafy greens: kale, chard, grass, dandelion greens, cabbage, carrot tops,lettuce ( be careful with lettuce since it is not nutritious)
- Squash/Zucchini:cooked or raw (they must be cut to smaller pieces)
- Tomatoes/ carrot familyyes I know Tomatoes are not technically a vegetable) As long as they are ripe chickens love the tomato fruit, and seeds.
Carrots/turnips: slice them up and serve them cooked or raw
FRUIT AND BERRY TREATS
(all if these should be given raw)
-blueberries, blackberries,currants, strawberries, grapes
- Dandelion flowers
-sunflower/ poppy seeds/ other seeds
- oats (cooked or raw)
- raisins/dried Currants
Though it's fun to see your chickens happy, you have to make sure they get the proper nutrition. Although all thee treats are "healthy" too much of them can make an unhealthy bird. So it is important not to give your chickens to much of anything, and find a good balance for their food.