I have owned chickens for years now and enjoy everyday of it! I show, breed, and of course keep chickens as pets.
I go to at least 3 shows a year. One in the spring, summer, and fall, plus any I can attend between.
-perks of showing-
- You get someone elses opinion about your chicken
- Sometimes you meet really nice chicken people
- Not that this one is that important, but you can win awards
- Once you get some good show chickens, you can win money. Which can buy food for your chickens and provide money to go to more shows and buy more chickens
- At some shows you can purchase chickens
- At some shows you can sell chickens
Breeding isnt for everyone. It take lots of thought and careful planning.Make charts, list, and notes.
IMO culling is a very important part of breeding. Once you first start out you might think that is cruel, but it is important. Things you need to look at when culling.
- weak chicks
- chickens that do not meet the standard
- chickens that have traits that are considered not diserable in the breed
- chicks that have various illness and defects- cross beaks, mareks disease, etc.
*not all breeders do this, just something to keep in mind. There are other methods of selective breeding.
- picking good breeding pairs- if you have a male that lacks certain traits, pick a female that makes up for it (or vice versa)
Chickens make great pets! And mine are always making me laugh. I would post pics of some of mine, but then there would be a million pictures!
All of this is my opinion, so please dont be offended by any of it.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!